Fat Tailed Dunnarts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
I'm really interested in keeping fat tailed dunnarts, I have already put a deposit on an enclosure so it's not all talk haha. I've googled care sheets but can't find any solid Australian sites. Does anyone one here keep them?

The enclosure is an Exo Terra Terrarium which measures 900mm x 450mm x 450mm

I've red they can be kept on sand, kritters crumble or bark etc but what is the best substrate for them?

Haven't really been able to find anything about their diet, I've found that they eat insects like crickets, woodies and mealworms but do they eat anything else as I'm sure they're carnivorous?

I know they're not reptiles but do they require any sort of heating and/or lighting?

They are insectivorous but I believe the ones at wildlife Sydney where also fed on cat food and meat?
A old friend of mine did a husbandry manual on the fat tailed Dunnart which I was sure was published... wouldn't no where though

I believe they need some sort of heating... but couldn't tell you specifics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick google
0062d3004647096a7bae2f9ff34c6b07.png

ff90c47ad822532841f1e73c15e040fc.png

b32cc5b491f99ca0781795d2e8aac80b.png

Thanks kittycat17! Do they require heating or lighting? Or is that up to the keeper? That's the bit I'm confused with and the substrate, which I'm thinking sand or kritters crumble is the way to go

Thanks kittycat17! Do they require heating or lighting? Or is that up to the keeper? That's the bit I'm confused with and the substrate, which I'm thinking sand or kritters crumble is the way to go

I'm pretty sure they where kept on sand at wildlife Sydney but had heaps of options to climb and native grasses etc to make nests in?
Maybe contact them or find a breeder?

I'm pretty sure they where kept on sand at wildlife Sydney but had heaps of options to climb and native grasses etc to make nests in?
Maybe contact them or find a breeder?

Yeah that sounds good I guess! Been looking around but can't find many breeders here in Victoria, but I do know Amazing Amazon get them in every now and then so I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they say

Gave Amazing Amazon a call today but they don't have any at the moment but got all the information i need on them and I really want to keep em, but does anyone on here know a breeder/seller in Melbourne?

May be worth joining the marsupial society for what I believe was $10 a year for access to the zoos surplus list they publish.
I'm pretty such it's the Victorian marsupial society that does it. It's on their website if so, would link, but lazy and on my phone currently.

I saw some on Gumtree within the last month

Weird though, marsupial keeping seems to have rapidly declined over the last few years. Used to be super easy to find captive bred wallabies, roos, various possum species, more unusual smaller Marsupials etc without even trying. How unfortunate.

It's hard to keep wallabies, possums, etc. on the postage stamp sized blocks a lot of people are living in these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back