Pregnant Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonhunter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have never had a pregnant reptile before would like to know do bearded dragons go off their food.
I have a spotted python that has been housed with a Stimson never missed a feed and now has refused 2 feeds
I also have jungle jags housed together he ate tonight and she never refuses a meal my concern is I'm sure that it's not there season yet any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie you don't want gravid girls don't keep them together simple as that
Snakes are solitary they don't need friends..

This time of year most snakes are brumating (cooling) and trying to find a mate
Antaresia species are exhibiting many locks already while it's a bit slower with carpets

Also if you breed 2 jags together 25% of the clutch will have a lethal gene and die in the eggs so not something a lot of keepers do

Okie you don't want gravid girls don't keep them together simple as that
Snakes are solitary they don't need friends..

This time of year most snakes are brumating (cooling) and trying to find a mate
Antaresia species are exhibiting many locks already while it's a bit slower with carpets

Also if you breed 2 jags together 25% of the clutch will have a lethal gene and die in the eggs so not something a lot of keepers do

None of the girls are together and the jags I bought as a pair thanks for that didn't know about the lethal gene I did read on it tho but not in depth cheers might look more into genetics

Ok good :)
Yeah it's not something that is always discussed in large lengths

Ok good :)
Yeah it's not something that is always discussed in large lengths

Yeah I found that as I have been looking into it for a little bit like what are hets and if I bred this what would I get ect but yes I have not come across that before

Yeah I found that as I have been looking into it for a little bit like what are hets and if I bred this what would I get ect but yes I have not come across that before

Ahh ok
So with jags, when you pair 2 together you end up with 25% of the clutch having 2 copies of the jag gene, this leaves you with a white snake with black eyes - a leucistic - unfortunately 2 copies of the gene is also lethal....
similar with zebras, when you pair 2 together 25% of the clutch will be the super form - a snake with one colour - but some of them have deformed tails (pig tails) but I think that's happening less and less with outcrossing

In response to your original question, yes, beardies go off their food about this time of year, unless it's less than one.

Housing a Spotted Python with a Stimson's is a bit sad, especially if they are male & female. More mixed heritage junk on the market... Please put some thought (in advance) into the possibility that your husbandry practices may add to the already huge load of hard-to-get-rid-of mixed heritage snakes on the market. You might also, one day, come home & find that the bigger one (probably the Spotted) has eaten the smaller one. Antaresias are notorious cannibals.

Jamie

No not male and female didn't ask for negative feedback

Well your post is very confusing, and implies that you're wondering why your snake has gone off food, and one of the reasons pythons go off food is because they become gravid. maybe if you wrote a bit more clearly, you wouldn't get negative feedback. My comment about Antaresia cannibalism is still relevant however. Don't sulk when someone offers good advice.

Jamie

Well your post is very confusing, and implies that you're wondering why your snake has gone off food, and one of the reasons pythons go off food is because they become gravid. maybe if you wrote a bit more clearly, you wouldn't get negative feedback. My comment about Antaresia cannibalism is still relevant however. Don't sulk when someone offers good advice.

Jamie

It just simply implies that she is housed with another snake not with the opposite sex of a different breed assumptions is what causes issues

The initial question is in fact 3 questions in one. (Unless I'm still not reading it correctly)
Sorry but suggesting you don't want negative feedback is a lost cause when you do something that others , (like Jamie), are passionate about such as housing ANY snakes together.

Dangerous at best, asking for trouble & potentially deadly for at least one of the occupants of shared accommadation.

I thought it was three questions too. The thread header is "Pregnant Snake" but it seems the question was about Bearded Dragons. All very confusing. "Assumptions is what causes issues..." - without wanting to flog a dead horse, I "assumed" you wanted advice about the snakes you (unwisely) house together, one of which stopped feeding, because of the title of your thread. At the end of the day, what is the point of your post?

Jamie

Hey guys I have never had a pregnant reptile before would like to know do bearded dragons go off their food.
I have a spotted python that has been housed with a Stimson never missed a feed and now has refused 2 feeds
I also have jungle jags housed together he ate tonight and she never refuses a meal my concern is I'm sure that it's not there season yet any thoughts

Not much room to make wrong assumptions, IMO. We can only comment on the information given.

What would be the best male for a female jungle carpet?

What would be the best male for a female jungle carpet?

Do you mean for breeding? If so, a Jungle python.

If for sharing an enclosure, NONE. Snakes aren't meant to share an enclosed space, they are solitary by nature and sooner or later you would come home to one injured/dead or maybe both.

Just for breeding. None of my snakes are kept together EVER. I also don't want neurological problems in the clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back