Fussy Olive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonhunter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I own a olive who I was told is 2 fussy eater turned her nose up at rats and mice but would happily take a quail so I was doing some thinking I first tried the scent rub didn't work I then got the wing off of the quail n placed it in the rats mouth sneaky little bugger plucked it out of the mouth so I then literally stuffed that rats mouth with the wing so she could not get the wing out but it was out enough for her to smell it
6d42850ec95684f43c14f68d238cae5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always just feed quail or chickens to :)

More likely rats are higher in calcium... but feeding a bird diet is fine

I was more worried about protein

I don't know why there seems to be a common conception that quail are somehow inferior compared to rats as food items for snakes. They're both whole bodied animals and are a complete meal with all the nutrients a snake or other reptile could need. Quail are nutritionally similar to rats. The only notable difference is that quail are leaner.

I don't know why there seems to be a common conception that quail are somehow inferior compared to rats as food items for snakes. They're both whole bodied animals and are a complete meal with all the nutrients a snake or other reptile could need. Quail are nutritionally similar to rats. The only notable difference is that quail are leaner.

I agree 100% never owned a large breed snake like the olive so i just thought higher in protein would be better for her

Some snakes simply don't like fur. They prefer feather.
Feeding Quail or chicken is not a problem so long as the food item is appropriately sized. I have had BIG snakes that have fed on a diet of 90% feather for their entire lives with no problems.

Any commercially produced prey item can end up with a higher fat content than its wild counterpart. Lack of excercise, over availability of food, food type etc are all potrntially contributing factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back