Hatchies Eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonhunter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Would like to know tricks to use to get hatchies eating as I have a few stubborn that are not eating hatchy from Jan still not eating any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alrighty!! So first question is how are you keeping them? What temp at? And what are you offering?

They are housed in a small area tank is not big they have heat it runs on thermostat hides water bowl so it is confined enough for them to gain confidence out of 6 hatchies only 3 are eating

Small area tank is probably to big, my hatchies are in 5L tubs, heat cord runs across the back off the tub and the hide over it, then mesh to climb on above that and water at the front of the tub.

What prey are you offering?
I find they start really well when offered fuzzie and hopper mice as the furred prey is more enticing for them :)

I run the heat at 34 degrees for my hatchies
And I always offer at night, about 9pm as this is when there most active

Bump up the temps, make them nice and warm - if you have a beardy, scent the mouse with it....

If you are seriously concerned, offer then live food.

Well I had 36 hatchies feeding by 11 weeks old :) so yeah would say I've had success hahaa :)

Probably time to separate them and house them in separate hatchie boxes or click clack containers

Video posted above is really helpful but forced feeding should only be done by experienced hands

Video posted above is really helpful but forced feeding should only be done by experienced hands

Alot of patience and extra time given to the fussy ones is needed.
Hopefully it doesn't come to force feeding and i hope it hasn't got close to it but if it's a case of them eat or die, i know which way i would be going.

Keep trying, you'll get there:)

Reactions: Gem
Probably time to separate them and house them in separate hatchie boxes or click clack containers

Yeah I have done today I'll see how they go over the next few weeks

Look up a process called 'assist feeding' while you are on you tube.
Not all snakes take to it but many do.

Just on a side not it can take a while to get some hatchies eating. Most will start within the 4-12 week time period. I just had one where the lights went on after 14 months!

Look up a process called 'assist feeding' while you are on you tube.
Not all snakes take to it but many do.

Just on a side not it can take a while to get some hatchies eating. Most will start within the 4-12 week time period. I just had one where the lights went on after 14 months!

Thanks for that I thought I could have been doing something wrong and I know my choice to the whole eat or die thing I have had to force feed my 6 month old for the first feed this week so I'll try anything to get them going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back