Pure Bred Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittycat17

Reaction score
So is anyone else disgusted by the prices pure bred snakes are selling for??
Seeing pure darwins for $80
Coastals for $75
How can you sell animals for this price and guarantee there going to be fed well and be checked by a vet if it needs it....

I can't even move caramel coastals onto new homes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Kittycat I don't agree. I only breed pure lines, my darwin line can be traced back to original wild caught animals bred by Simon Stone with Blondie and my Julatten Jungle line is pure from animals originally bred by Tremain Anderson. I have no trouble selling albino darwin and Julatten hatchlings for $500 with special ones higher. My darwin hets are from $150 because I want to clear the last few to close that rack but most were sold for $200, I won't sell anything for less than that and only to buyers that have a proper setup.
My observation is that it is jags and cross breeds that are difficult to sell, even mixed GTP's are cheap and I don't touch any of those. I used to breed black cockatoos and you would not dream of mating a redtail with a yellowtail and you would not mate a blue and gold macaw with a crimson, the offspring would be worthless. There is no point breeding animals that can only be sold for $80 as you can't afford to look after them properly and is the buyer of an $80 snake going to spend the hundreds of dollars required for a proper enclosure and quality food. Most people are happy to keep dogs as pets and not breed them. It's fine to keep and love "ordinary" coastals, jungles etc as pets but why breed them?

You say you don't agree but you have basically stated my point
Why would we sell animals for $80.

My animals are priced at $150-$200 because that is what I believe they are worth and I've sold them at that price easily in previous seasons

But I saw people buying caramel coastals at the central coast expo for $80 [emoji35] (someone had them advertised for that price)

And the seller next to me was easily selling his bredli x coastals but pure coastals won't move.

I didn't realise the market had dropped this badly as I gave my females a season off in the 15/16 season. And I'll only be pairing for tristripes this season.

I hear what you are saying Kitty but the animals worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it not what the seller thinks its worth.
The market is over supplied and if people are not spending it makes it difficult.

Thing is everyone thinks they are going to make a mint as a breeder so everyone wants to have a go. (Without putting a great deal of thought into what it is they are producing). Hence the question on another thread earlier today, (what snake should I put with my jungle.....remember?). Its behavior like this that is turning the hobby a bit sour at the moment.

I hear what you are saying Kitty but the animals worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it not what the seller thinks its worth.
The market is over supplied and if people are not spending it makes it difficult.

Thing is everyone thinks they are going to make a mint as a breeder so everyone wants to have a go. (Without putting a great deal of thought into what it is they are producing). Hence the question on another thread earlier today, (what snake should I put with my jungle.....remember?). Its behavior like this that is turning the hobby a bit sour at the moment.

Bahaha yes I do remember that particular question :)

I understand only breeding for the market.
But my babies will stay here I'm not dropping my prices.
I just am so frustrated that some breeders don't care about cost they just want to move animals :(

The problem is too many people are breeding whatever they have without serious thought to what is marketable and the market is oversupplied with "ordinary" snakes. You have to have a plan and only breed top quality distinctive animals and you will sell them for a good price. There are albino darwins advertised for $300 everywhere but I had no trouble selling 3 clutches for $500 - $700.

The price related breeding bubble burst four or five years ago. And the reptile owning hype has died down significantly since then.

I don't mind to be honest. A bit like the days when you swapped out with mates for what you wanted.

I think assuming that people that only pay $80 for a snake will not look after it properly or seek vet care is rather snobbish. I do believe though that there is a serious over breeding issue in the Hobby, Hopefully the low prices drive out the people that are only in it for the money and breed all these mongrel cross breed bitsa's

A similar thing happened with bearded dragons, every man and his dog was breeding them. If anyone's noticed, it seems the same thing is happening with ackies now.

A similar thing happened with bearded dragons, every man and his dog was breeding them. If anyone's noticed, it seems the same thing is happening with ackies now.

Beardies where going for as low as $20 at the Illawarra expo towards closing time

Seems like an Aussie issue prices are still high in states now Lacey act is lifted sky is limit on burns and retics

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I recently purchased two coastal tigers for 300 and I thought that was a bargain

Never seen any carpets for 80 dollars maybe a stray here and there but normally much higher

Too many people take breeding as some kind of pinnacle in the hobby, so they can call themselves "breeders" - what's wrong with just keeping reptiles?
The market is saturated and people want everything for a song. I stopped breeding Aussie native GTPs because there is too many of them on the market and they are hard to sell. So what? I just enjoy keeping them.

Too many people take breeding as some kind of pinnacle in the hobby, so they can call themselves "breeders" - what's wrong with just keeping reptiles?
The market is saturated and people want everything for a song. I stopped breeding Aussie native GTPs because there is too many of them on the market and they are hard to sell. So what? I just enjoy keeping them.

I don't think I saw any gtp hatchlings at expos this season....

Totally agree!
People just breed for the sake of breeding, not just in reptiles either.
Some cats and dogs you see advertised for sale and the so called breeder can't even spell the breed name correctly.
Very sad when people can't just enjoy having beautiful animals.

The price related breeding bubble burst four or five years ago. And the reptile owning hype has died down significantly since then.

I don't mind to be honest. A bit like the days when you swapped out with mates for what you wanted.

Totally agree Wally. I often think back to younger days when I used to swap stuff interstate with blokes down south like Mike Swan and Steve Wilson and up north with Kerri Head. All of it was wild caught in those days and we'd just exchange stuff that none of us could get locally. We'd often send them off by rail, all bagged up and in cardboard boxes. Was always a great surprise to open and find things like Southern Blotched Blue Tongues, Painted Dragons, Aprasia, Suta's, Lowland Copperheads and nice Vic Tigers. Then I'd mostly swap (but sometimes sell) stuff like these with mates from around the Sydney area.

Remember sending a nice Diamond to Kerri Head many many years ago when he was in Airlie Beach. First time I sent a critter off by plane. A couple of days later he rings and tells me that he just put a couple of Northern Adders on a plane for me and that they should be in Sydney the next morning. I sat around all day waiting for the courier to deliver them and around 5:00pm I get a knock on the door and it's the courier standing there with a plastic lunch box all taped up with vent holes and "Handle with Care - Live Specimens" written all over it. The guy said he'd had the box on the seat next to him all day and had been dying to find out what was in it. I told him Death Adders and he didn't believe me so I took it off him, opened it and then a bag to reveal two beautiful adults. Poor bloke went pale and week at the knees, spat the dummy, then walked off muttering something about having a word to the people back at the airport...hahaha.

Except for the odd RRB's I haven't bread anything for years and I only do them when I've got friends who have friends that want to upgrade their license to keep vens. I'd rather just give them away if I'm assured they'll be looked after.

All the best,

George.

Totally agree Wally. I often think back to younger days when I used to swap stuff interstate with blokes down south like Mike Swan and Steve Wilson and up north with Kerri Head. All of it was wild caught in those days and we'd just exchange stuff that none of us could get locally. We'd often send them off by rail, all bagged up and in cardboard boxes. Was always a great surprise to open and find things like Southern Blotched Blue Tongues, Painted Dragons, Aprasia, Suta's, Lowland Copperheads and nice Vic Tigers. Then I'd mostly swap (but sometimes sell) stuff like these with mates from around the Sydney area.

Remember sending a nice Diamond to Kerri Head many many years ago when he was in Airlie Beach. First time I sent a critter off by plane. A couple of days later he rings and tells me that he just put a couple of Northern Adders on a plane for me and that they should be in Sydney the next morning. I sat around all day waiting for the courier to deliver them and around 5:00pm I get a knock on the door and it's the courier standing there with a plastic lunch box all taped up with vent holes and "Handle with Care - Live Specimens" written all over it. The guy said he'd had the box on the seat next to him all day and had been dying to find out what was in it. I told him Death Adders and he didn't believe me so I took it off him, opened it and then a bag to reveal two beautiful adults. Poor bloke went pale and week at the knees, spat the dummy, then walked off muttering something about having a word to the people back at the airport...hahaha.

Except for the odd RRB's I haven't bread anything for years and I only do them when I've got friends who have friends that want to upgrade their license to keep vens. I'd rather just give them away if I'm assured they'll be looked after.

All the best,

George.

That is amazing!!! I wish it was like that!!

I too remember the "good old days", I started catching snakes when I was 9 years of age much to the horror of my parents. I had a friend in Nth Qld that used to regularly send me wooden crates of wild caught snakes, I used to pick them up at the airport and open all the bags with much excitement. That was the 1960's and 70's, now I have the reality that my power bill is $3,000 a quarter and it costs me thousands a year to feed my collection, all the adults are in large enclosures which cost a lot to set up and require me to live in a very large home. The only way I can afford my hobby is to breed and sell some selected lines each season to pay the bills. This means often selling some exceptional animals I would rather keep and I certainly don't make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back