Just Starting Our Setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pm.everton91

Reaction score
Our baby boy is a Stimsons. One of this years babies. Our first reptile! Besides the skinks we both caught as kids haha. We know the basics of his new setup but I'd like some pointers from anyone willing to give them.

As follows we need;

× Approx 14L sistema
× Heat mat, 5w or 10w
× We'll probably use paper towel as substrate until he's a big boy
× A good quality thermostat
× Food (we'll ask his breeder what he's currently eating
× small hide
× shallow water dish
× some form of foliage
× possibly a tiny hook
× blunt nose tweezers

I can't think of anything else right this second, so please let me know if I've missed something.
82754786ec19f03ccd2fbbb05cc693c7.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Welcome to APS. Great looking Stimsons.
Sounds like you've done your research; well done. The only suggestions I would make are don't stress about buying a hide, just use a toilet roll/paper towel roll/any small cardboard box in the food cupboard; you'll find your python will poop over the hide, so unless you like cleaning, the above can be just tossed away. The other thing is you don't need tweezers, a pair of pointy nosed pliers is better for handling food, especially as the food gets bigger.

Thank you for your reply and we think he's a handsome boy. His sister was even more beautiful. More yellow and stunning.

Easy it is haha. We've had both rats and mice and are very used to the cleaning.

The pliers makes sense. We'll get a pair instead.

Anything that I've missed do you think? My partner wants a heat gun too but I think a good quality thermostat should alert as to any heat problems with him.

As important as a thermostat is, you can't go wrong with an infra-red temp gun; you can pick up one pretty cheap on Ebay. They are the most accurate way to measure the temps.
And some F10 disinfectant/cleaner, best thing for reptiles.

Welcome to APS MzJen.
Feel free to start a thread with a photo of your new addition.

Our baby boy is a Stimsons. One of this years babies. Our first reptile! Besides the skinks we both caught as kids haha. We know the basics of his new setup but I'd like some pointers from anyone willing to give them.

As follows we need;

× Approx 14L sistema
× Heat mat, 5w or 10w
× We'll probably use paper towel as substrate until he's a big boy
× A good quality thermostat
× Food (we'll ask his breeder what he's currently eating
× small hide
× shallow water dish
× some form of foliage
× possibly a tiny hook
× blunt nose tweezers

I can't think of anything else right this second, so please let me know if I've missed something.
82754786ec19f03ccd2fbbb05cc693c7.jpg

Hey there! Congrats on your beautiful stimmi
I have two stimsons (a wheatbelt and a windorah) in my collection, they really are beautiful snakes.
I would really really recommend a book which was recommended to me on APS when i first started.
Keeping Childrens Pythons by Greg Fyfe and Darren Green.
Despite the title, it is a aimed at all of the antaresias including stimsons.
I picked it up off ebay for $18 and honestly it taught me a lot, really worth buying.
Would highly recommend it for any one starting with antaresias.
Also as mentioned above, definitely grab a temp gun!
I wouldn't worry about a hook either, the little guys bites dont hurt and they generally settle really quickly after being handled a few times
Congrats again and all the best with your little guy!

Last edited:
Hey there! Congrats on your beautiful stimmi
I have two stimsons (a wheatbelt and a windorah) in my collection, they really are beautiful snakes.
I would really really recommend a book which was recommended to me on APS when i first started.
Keeping Childrens Pythons by Greg Fyfe and Darren Green.
Despite the title, it is a aimed at all of the antaresias including stimsons.
I picked it up off ebay for $18 and honestly it taught me a lot, really worth buying.
Would highly recommend it for any one starting with antaresias.
Also as mentioned above, definitely grab a temp gun!
I wouldn't worry about a hook either, the little guys bites dont hurt and they generally settle really quickly after being handled a few times
Congrats again and all the best with your little guy!
He is already pretty relaxed. We spooked him a little tonight and he gave me warning 'bumps'. I could feel slight sharpness so maybe his teeny teeth just couldn't do damage.

We did grab a book. With a long name. Can't recall it this minute but will have a look. "A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity" by Adam Elliot is what we picked up. Couldn't get the Children's for some reason. We ended up with a hook but don't use it haha.

Just a Q. We've got some F10 cleaner. What percentage do most people dilute it to for general cleaning?

Congrats on your new addition. I just got my first snake on the weekend too. He was sold as a childrens but looks very similar to yours.

Can anyone tell the difference here? The seller thought he may be a stimsons because the parents they saw still had a lot of pattern

20170617_115948.jpg

Congrats on your new addition. I just got my first snake on the weekend too. He was sold as a childrens but looks very similar to yours.

Can anyone tell the difference here? The seller thought he may be a stimsons because the parents they saw still had a lot of pattern

View attachment 320771

Looks like a stimsons to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back