Breeding Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callum Dureau

Reaction score
Want to start doing it, any tips on it? And what stuff will I need? My collection is getting to a size where it is just too costly to keep buying crickets.

it's fairly easy the key is to keep them warm especially seeing as though it's winter at the moment. I use heat mats and cord but you could use lamps, btw I use probe thermostats bc I find it easier to keep steady temps that way.

I use plastic tubs which are high enough that I don't need to use a lid.

I use dry dog food and rolled oats as (thin) substrate and food, I add vegetables and fruit as well (apple and orange are good). with egg cartons to climb on. I give water to larger crickets by spraying the bare plastic bottom or sides of the plastic tub.

to breed wait until they are old enough to be chirping and the females have fully developed ovipositors, place damp cocopeat in a tub and cover the surface in mesh (to stop them eating the eggs), wait a week of egg laying and then incubate the eggs (I place them over heat cord or on top of a reptiles enclosure) ensure that the temps don't drop below 20º or hatch rates will be very low. when they begin to hatch place in a rearing tub and the only differences to adults is smaller food and no spraying (or else they will drown in the drops) just wet cotton wool.

best tips: keep them warm, start slow and expand as you will learn what works best for you, keep everything dry mould=bad, be patient and beware as you may (as I have done) end up looking after crickets more than reptiles.
-Good luck mate.

it's fairly easy the key is to keep them warm especially seeing as though it's winter at the moment. I use heat mats and cord but you could use lamps, btw I use probe thermostats bc I find it easier to keep steady temps that way.

I use plastic tubs which are high enough that I don't need to use a lid.

I use dry dog food and rolled oats as (thin) substrate and food, I add vegetables and fruit as well (apple and orange are good). with egg cartons to climb on. I give water to larger crickets by spraying the bare plastic bottom or sides of the plastic tub.

to breed wait until they are old enough to be chirping and the females have fully developed ovipositors, place damp cocopeat in a tub and cover the surface in mesh (to stop them eating the eggs), wait a week of egg laying and then incubate the eggs (I place them over heat cord or on top of a reptiles enclosure) ensure that the temps don't drop below 20º or hatch rates will be very low. when they begin to hatch place in a rearing tub and the only differences to adults is smaller food and no spraying (or else they will drown in the drops) just wet cotton wool.

best tips: keep them warm, start slow and expand as you will learn what works best for you, keep everything dry mould=bad, be patient and beware as you may (as I have done) end up looking after crickets more than reptiles.
-Good luck mate.
Thank you very much for your reply! Much appreciated

If your reptiles will eat them, try breeding woodies rather than crickets. Much easier, and more efficient.
Funny enough I have never fed my geckos woodies. I just never see them in the pet shops, might have to look into it and see if my geckos will eat them. And what makes woodies easier to breed than crickets? Are they more tolerant of temperature or just easier to breed?

Actually, reading about it now, they don't require water, just carrot or pumpkin. And do not require a heat source. Might breed these guys instead if my geckos like them!

I breed both crickets and woodies as well as super worms. Woodies are by far the easiest to breed same as above crickets don't like the cold to much but my woodies just don't stop breeding 24/7

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Baby crickets can climb too just like woodies so place a rim of packing tape or Vaseline along the top so they don't escape

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Woodies will stop breeding if temps get too cold 15 deg you wouldn't get any breeding. If temps are cooler you can use olive oil applied with a sponge to keep them in. I did a test tub for 4 weeks in olive oil before switching the rest of my 40 odd tubs to olive oil. Nothing went over it Then the weather warmed up here in Qld so back to the Fluon. Feed them fry dog or cat food plus some carrot. In wet weather remove the carrot.

Should read Dry Dog/ Cat food. Couldn't edit just after I posted. Yes you do need heat to get the best out of them when the air temps drop.

I tried breeding crickets once, but I was too lazy to build a lid for my tub because it had nice high sides.
3 mornings in a row I woke up, turned on the light to see one of the resident huntsman spiders helping itself to a free meal. bloody freeloader.
Funnily enough I've never had issues with spiders eating my woodies. And yes, woodies are soooo much easier to breed. I routinely forget to give mine food or a moisture source for weeks/months on end, they're still going strong!

I started breeding crickets once... For a couple of days, I'd ordered a couple of hundred from the amphibian research centre.
Well, I made the mistake one night of looking in at them, before this moment I had always found crickets somewhat cute since I was a kid.
After that, I found them so revolting, I actually let them all free that night (sorry neighbours!).
They're just smelly awful things.

I also suggest woodies.
The ex used to breed them, and they seemed to thrive on neglect.
I used to get a kick out of throwing in a whole apple and seeing it disappear completely within hours. Was awesome. They also didn't smell of anything, which was amazing... Because there was A LOT of roaches. I'm fairly sure he sent a kilo or more to a friend and the tub was still full? Amazing lol. Clearly you probably don't want to breed THAT many, but he did haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back