Recommended Hatchling Set Up?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting a new snake (albino central carpet) and i have been looking at hatchling click-clack setups. so i went shopping today and got majorly confused because every container to me (10-20L) either looked too low and flat or too high and not enough ground area!

i have everything else but just confused about what a suitable container would be! as far as i know the little noodle is 2months max, so he is probably tiny.
also how long would they be in a tub before moving into a proper enclosure? (not full size but decent size)

thanks!

Edit: pic of Snakes old tank (was going to be used for something else yesterday so added substrate but will take it out for the hatchling and use paper instead aswell as lots of hides :) )
wsjvbm.jpg

45DWx60H (could possibly add a lower ceiling with like cardboard or something?)

Last edited:
Hey mate, I believe most on here use a 7L sistema tub
thanks for the reply, the person i'm getting the snake from will be providing the tub he/she is currently in :)

I use 7L sistema tubs for hatchlings. As mzjen mentioned, these are commonly used. You can pick them up from kmart etc etc.

Full glass enclosures are notorious for losing heat and humidity however i currently use one for a yearling (temporarily) and i haven't had any problems. I'm not a fan of those tall tanks though because i have found them annoying to get temps right.

In saying that, i would just stick to tubs for hatchlings they are much easier to manage and they tend to stress in large enclosures.
Good luck

IMG_4947.jpg I use 5 and 7 litre tubs up to about 7 months then 10 litre until they are larger and more confident when they go into a proper enclosure. Mine are in racks but all you need is a heat matt under one end and a thermostat, the plastic lattice is easy to clean and gives them some rough edges for shedding, a hide and water bowl (large to keep humidity up). You can pick up 7L Sistema tubs for $6.25 at Coles and Woolworths when on special, I just bought a heap at Coles.
IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4483.jpg

View attachment 320725 I use 5 and 7 litre tubs up to about 7 months then 10 litre until they are larger and more confident when they go into a proper enclosure. Mine are in racks but all you need is a heat matt under one end and a thermostat, the plastic lattice is easy to clean and gives them some rough edges for shedding, a hide and water bowl (large to keep humidity up). You can pick up 7L Sistema tubs for $6.25 at Coles and Woolworths when on special, I just bought a heap at Coles.

ill see what kind of tub ill be getting with the snake (hopefully this tuesday :) ) and if it doesnt seem "suitable" ill set it up like yours :D

thanks for the help!

Those tanks are hard to get good heat gradients in.
Full glass enclosures are notorious for losing heat and humidity however i currently use one for a yearling (temporarily) and i haven't had any problems. I'm not a fan of those tall tanks though because i have found them annoying to get temps right.

thanks for the insight guys :) i only asked because it was currently being unused and i never had a problem with the previous snake that was in there regarding heat temps using a heatmat in one corner!

We used one of those enclosures for a young coastal out of the click clack, but couldn't get a decent gradient; not cool enough. She went off her food, until we moved her out of it.

We used one of those enclosures for a young coastal out of the click clack, but couldn't get a decent gradient; not cool enough. She went off her food, until we moved her out of it.
thats weird :O

my snake was eating weekly with 0 troubles, perfect sheds etc inside the glass enclosure

@Bl69aze If you do find you are having trouble getting the heat right in that glass enclosure you could try what i did, that is tape sheet styrofoam to the back and 2 sides, it helps keep the heat in admirably, and if you so desire you or the kids can paint geometric or bush like designs on the foam before you tape it on, it can change the enclosure from boring to spectacular in 10 minutes as well as keep the heat it in. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

@Bl69aze If you do find you are having trouble getting the heat right in that glass enclosure you could try what i did, that is tape sheet styrofoam to the back and 2 sides, it helps keep the heat in admirably, and if you so desire you or the kids can paint geometric or bush like designs on the foam before you tape it on, it can change the enclosure from boring to spectacular in 10 minutes as well as keep the heat it in. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling
Idk guys I used it for 2years and I had no problems :/

If I have trouble this time around I'll take the tips :p so thank you

Albino central? Or darwin?
I believe central, but apparently they don't exist, so could be hybrid,
He 100% said bredli so :/ either he got darwin and bredli mixed up or it's a hybrid

We will find out one day :p

I believe central, but apparently they don't exist, so could be hybrid,
He 100% said bredli so :/ either he got darwin and bredli mixed up or it's a hybrid

We will find out one day :p
Albino bredlis would be cool though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back