First Snake: Carpet Python Vs Spotted/children's Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dododoberman

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am just researching pet snakes, and two keep coming up as great pets. They are the carpet python and the spotted python. I have never owned a snake, but i have owned different species of frogs for the past four years now. Which are the easiest to keep, feed and handle. I would also prefer if it were not massive, as full size frozen rats are quite costly, but that can be done if its the best option. I am on a bit of a budget at the moment, so if it could cost under 200 dollars for a hatchling it'll be ok.
Thanks

As far as I know, all carpet pythons grow to a large size. If you don't want a big snake, spotted pythons are good snakes. They are both easy to care for, its just a matter of if you put the time and effort into keeping them.

Thank you!
I will put all the time i have into looking after them. It is mostly a matter of the space they're enclosure takes up and the cost, not really the size of the animal. I have a 40 gallon terrarium (roughly 80 cm long, almost 60 tall and just over 50 wide) that it would live in as and adult, but would that be too small for a smaller variety of carpet? I would pick a carpet, but i am unsure it would fit in the enclosure.

Jungles tend to max out around 6ft compared to coastals and bredli who max out anywhere from 7-12ft :)
Most of my coastals are very sweet even though they are large and you can save money by feeder large prey like rabbits or large chickens monthly rather than smaller weekly meals :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea. However, there are no local pet stores that sell frozen rabbits or chickens, the largest i can get hold of is a 2 week quail. I'd be willing to feed it smaller prey weekly if need be, but the main thing is if a smaller but still full grown carpet would fit in my terrarium.

It's not so much the cost of the snake but the cost of the setup that is going to drain your money. Having said that, if you get a hatchling you can work on your setup while it grows.

Is that size enclosure big enough for a carpet python as an adult? I understand if you will keep it in that enclsoure as a juvenile, but to me that enclosure is VERY small for an adult carpet python. No snakes are expensive to keep, even if you have to feed it once a fortnight. The most expensive part is buying the snake, but from then on you don't have to worry about money. Food is dirt-cheap from a person who breeds them, I think its about $1-2 for 1 mouse each.

Since this is going to be your first snake, and the size of the enclosure you have, I STRONGLY advise you to go with the spotted python.

You'll find most people don't get there frozen food from pet shops most get from local breeders coz it's sooo much cheaper :)

And honestly go with what you like :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I will probably go with the spotted python, But i was wondering what age i would have to upsize for a carpet, because i would be able to, just not at the moment. If i were to get a carpet, it would probably be a juvenile, just how long do you think i could make use this enclosure for? And any recommended breeders for fodder near the southern metro area of SA?

Each snake grows at a different rate, so you would have to check with the breeder

Thanks. I think the carpet may be a little too big for a first snake. I think i'll go with the spotted python. Just out of curiosity, anyone know how much a large spotted (say 5 ft) weighs?

Spotted pythons rarely get longer than 1 metre, so you won't have to worry about a 5 foot one.

Ok thanks, i just want a robust python, not a 3 foot twig, thats why i was also looking into carpet pythons. I am not worried about 5 foot spotted pythons. Are spotted pythons fairly heavy and robust? Thanks any ways

Get in touch with Rowan from Adelaide Rats and Mice. He's on Facebook, and lives that side of town.

Ok thanks, i just want a robust python, not a 3 foot twig, thats why i was also looking into carpet pythons. I am not worried about 5 foot spotted pythons. Are spotted pythons fairly heavy and robust? Thanks any ways
Like I said... They rarely grow passed 1 metre. Thats a little over 3 foot. Now a carpet python is about 7 foot, double that size. Spotted pythons are not a slender snake, but they are not fat. If you want a carpet python, just get a bigger enclosure.

So your best options are of any of the Antaresia family for that size enclosure, not a carpet python.

Like I said... They rarely grow passed 1 metre. Thats a little over 3 foot. Now a carpet python is about 7 foot, double that size. Spotted pythons are not a slender snake, but they are not fat. If you want a carpet python, just get a bigger enclosure.
I think I was unclear when I said I could get a larger enclosure, I just don't have the funds. I might buy a hatchling carpet and i will be able to resize within say 3 months. Thanks everyone

It's a bit obvious that I'm slightly biased, but I think for a first snake you can't beat a Spotted. They're docile, easy to keep, don't require massive enclosures, rarely refuse food... the list goes on :). Also, spotteds are the largest Antaresia and in my experience they do usually get larger than a metre quite readily (without power feeding), more like 1.2m depending on the individual. I've had a female since hatchie age (when they're more like worms than snakes :p), and within the two years she's already gotten to 1 metre and eating Weaner (small) rats without trouble. She's 350g and taking on more length and weight. This means they are large enough to be impressive yet small enough to be manageable. However, if you want to go the Carpet path, go with a Murray Darling. They're definitely the least troublesome of the Morelia Spilotas, though not the flashiest. Jungles are smaller, but will probably rip your face! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back