Water Python Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry 6x2 feet

I wasn't even asking about water so not sure what happened. I use coco husk chunks for all my cages already to keep the humidity in the ranges I want. I just can't find what humidity range is best for them or what hot side temperature is correct.

Last edited:
This is a picture of a baby that the breeder had for reference.

15977612_876569382484740_241346875266325890_n.jpg

14732208_827382010736811_6439677480145849315_n.jpg

And though they will climb occaisionally, they are not arboreal. For the enclosure aim for a bit of height (maybe 60cm - 90cm). From the pictures, it looks like a QLD water python, so it should settle down with a bit of handling.

I was thinking of a cage 6x2x2 feet so same 90cm tall. What humidity range do they need?

32-34c won't be a problem, most of my others are kept at 32c.

Yes, one more thing. Water python scales are a lot finer than other pythons', so take extra care during shedding time e.g. raise humidity, don't handle, don't feed, etc. They have an aggressive feeding response, so to keep them docile you must handle a lot. They stress more easily than other pythons, so be very steady and calm when handling them. They have horrendous bites: rated as some of the worst of Aussie pythons. Their teeth are actually longer than many elapid fangs.

Thanks for the tips, I do most of that already with my other snakes. Boost humidity and leave them alone until they have shed. I don't know if my other snakes will eat during shed I just leave them alone and skip that week once I see the signs they are deep. I just check on the humidity levels and take a quick look through the glass if they have shed and walk away. After quarantine they are in my basement and I live alone so there will not be much foot traffic. I have multiple/temp humidity sensors so it's a quick scan of the readings. I use coco husk chunks for my other snakes to maintain humidity so this won't be a change.

Good to know about handling often to keep them docile. That's the other reason I like buying young snakes, work with them from a small size so can be calm and confident and grow with them.

I have a general rule to not get bitten already in place lol I tap train my snakes as well.

6x2 is plenty. They climb, but they're bad at it, bit like bhps. I've had mine for a decade now. Apart from upping humidity once they turn grey, don't worry too much about water 24/7. But they like the odd swim and mine seems to go crocodile when I put a tub in with him, every few weeks.
Up here you often see the adults hanging out in the shallows of creeks and billabongs in the weeds, waiting for birds and baby crocs. Temperament is like any snake, go slow and gentle and put the time in and you'll be rewarded.

Thanks for the replies, I offering a branch or log to my ball python and BCI as well, not great climbers but my BP likes hanging out off the ground. I can offer a few branches to perch on or slide over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back