Need Help With My Enclosure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
first off, sorry if this is in wrong section!, staff can move it if need be <3

so we have a reptile one enclosure for our diamond python, (large black square one) and the other day the lock snapped, no idea how.. hadnt touched it since the last feed! now its locked for good, noway to open the doors without cracking the glass!

does any one know where we can get a a new lock from,? we have tried kellyville pets, they told us to contact reptile one, reptile one said they dont sell them individually..l.. - how to access the snake? how to take it apart with out it all falling and crushing the snake after the first piece is taken?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

p.s yes i know the tank is lacking perches and stuff, we were literally about to add a new branch and stuff before discovering this **** >_<

p.p.s if we do get him out, hes fairly large, 5-6ft, what would be a suitable cheap setup for a temporary home.. (or long term if theres no way to source a lock.)

2dub38i.jpg

243hrnq.jpg

2hdwhlw.jpg

I would be putting a screwdriver into the lock slot, (where the key goes), and forcing it until the lock guts fall apart. it should then be a simple matter of pulling the lock apart in bits until the doors will open. The other weak spot is the top hinge, you should be able to prize the top up enough to pop out the little pin that holds it then the door will lift off the bottom hinge and you are in.

I would be putting a screwdriver into the lock slot, (where the key goes), and forcing it until the lock guts fall apart. it should then be a simple matter of pulling the lock apart in bits until the doors will open. The other weak spot is the top hinge, you should be able to prize the top up enough to pop out the little pin that holds it then the door will lift off the bottom hinge and you are in.
what do u mean by forcing it? like pushing it into the lock? or getting it in then turning?

You should be able to drill the keyhole of the lock out with a large drill bit. Then just buy a glass lock that you fix to one pane of glass and slide the lock onto. Here is an example.
https://ironbark-pets.myshopify.com...roducts/products/140mm-reptile-enclosure-lock
unfortunately i dont think these locks work for glass doors that open like a normal door :( (they might and you might be completely correct, but i cant see how you would fit it :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realised they are not sliding doors so that lock won't work. Another option is a locksmith, expensive but they should be able to open it and then cut you another key or replace the lock barrel.

Basically do what you can to break the lock so you can access the components (or the "guts") then pull the components apart (springs, pins, etc.) until you can open the enclosure. Might gain some insight as well as to how locks work to avoid such a drastic solution next time!

Try using something flat and strong to prise open the key slot part of the lock.

I wouldn't be trying to force the lock, you run the risk of shattering the glass.

If you are fairly good with your hands, and if you purchased the enclosure as a flat pack/assembly kit, then you can (as a last resort) disassemble the cage to the extent that you can remove the animal, lock and glass and replace those parts. Try removing the snake via ventilation or heating ports so you can take time to figure it out.

Basically do what you can to break the lock so you can access the components (or the "guts") then pull the components apart (springs, pins, etc.) until you can open the enclosure. Might gain some insight as well as to how locks work to avoid such a drastic solution next time!
im scared about the glass!, i could try a flathead and fit it where it fits or find something that can expand on the inside like scissors or something

I wouldn't be trying to force the lock, you run the risk of shattering the glass.
exactly :( its not cheap haha

And if you are fairly good with your hands, and if you purchased the enclosure as a flat pack/assembly kit, then you can (as a last resort) disassemble the cage to the extent that you can remove the animal, lock and glass and replace those parts.
it was a flat pack, but im not sure what order to take it apart, ive got the roof off somewhat... it only lifts so high before it sounds like it will snap..even though the screws were taken out.. we have run some poles across the top so it doesnt fall and smoosh the big baby

Usually the glass can be lifted up and lifted out, thats how you take them out for cleaning. Harder with 2 panes together, suction caps would help.
can you please explain in more detail? in the corners of the glass they have little metal bits that connect to the wood part top and bottom, little round metal things that u can see connected to the rectangle pieces in the corners

Take your time, the snake isn't in any danger unless you put it in danger.
im lucky its winter and they dont need to eat alot/at all

Usually the glass can be lifted up and lifted out, thats how you take them out for cleaning. Harder with 2 panes together, suction caps would help.
In this case it would have a hinge lug top and bottom which would make it difficult.

it was a flat pack, but im not sure what order to take it apart, ive got the roof off somewhat... it only lifts so high before it sounds like it will snap..even though the screws were taken out.. we have run some poles across the top so it doesnt fall and smoosh the big baby
Maybe try ventilation or heating slots to hook the snake out???

i could.... but say i drop the ventilation screen thingy... i will have a gaping hole in the side of the tank :(), plus i dont know if its a plug fit and could be fitted back in, or if it breaks if i push it out :S

Why would he/she want to hook it out when he/she has nothing to put it in?

Call a locksmith now and enquire as to how much it would cost to do the job during the day. Obviously you don't want them out tonight as it is not an emergency and definitely don't want to pay after hours emergency rates.

Why would he/she want to hook it out when he/she has nothing to put it in?
thats the 2nd problem... i dont exactly have a spare large enclosure laying around haha :( he might have to use the glass enclosure i was gonna put my DP in.. and move the DP to a larger tub

reptile one tanks are badly designed;I WONT BE BUYING ANY MORE...sliding glass doors can't be removed without dismantling the tank-which is a pain when you want to clean the glass.
Your best option is to start dismantling the tank,take off the top to get your python out and buy a wooden enclosure from 1 of many custom builders and throw the reptile 1 piece of **** in the bin.
You mentioned kellyville pets so obviously you are in western sydney,I can point you to a couple of enclosure builders if you want

Last edited:
Call a locksmith now and enquire as to how much it would cost to do the job during the day. Obviously you don't want them out tonight as it is not an emergency and definitely don't want to pay after hours emergency rates.

any recommendations for nsw? i saw target locksmith, but last review was 2014..

reptile one tanks are badly designed;I WONT BE BUYING ANY MORE...sliding glass doors can't be removed without dismantling the tank-which is a pain when you want to clean the glass.
Your best option is to start dismantling the tank,take off the top to get your python out and buy a wooden enclosure from 1 of many custom builders and throw the reptile 1 piece of **** in the bin
its like a puzzle trying to figure out what connects the tank together... but yea, i seen maverick enclosures look great and might have to go with those.. (hopefully the person who actually owns the snake and isnt doing anything about this whole lock issue leaving me to work it out, will chip in some $$)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back