Need Help With My Enclosure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reptile one tanks are badly designed;I WONT BE BUYING ANY MORE...sliding glass doors can't be removed without dismantling the tank-which is a pain when you want to clean the glass.
Your best option is to start dismantling the tank,take off the top to get your python out and buy a wooden enclosure from 1 of many custom builders and throw the reptile 1 piece of **** in the bin
I have never had trouble with them... Is there anything else bad about them apart from not being able to take out the doors?

With the dismantling of the tank it will have wooden dowels and screws holding it together. I wouldn't run the risk of a piece falling during removal. The edges of the pieces of wood could be rather sharp and if one fell on the snake it could cause a large gash.

I have never had trouble with them... Is there anything else bad about them apart from not being able to take out the doors?
no, that is my main complaint.If you can't take out the doors you can't clean them or do major revamps.With most enclosures you can lift the doors up and out but reptile 1 tanks don't let you lift the doors

no, that is my main complaint.If you can't take out the doors you can't clean them or do major revamps.With most enclosures you can lift the doors up and out but reptile 1 tanks don't let you lift the doors
If that is the case then how do you assemble them in the first place with no way to hold the glass upright?

If that is the case then how do you assemble them in the first place with no way to hold the glass upright?
you assemble them in a certain order to hold the pieces in place but once assembled you can't lift the doors out unless you disassemble it again.
Normally doors are the last thing you put in.But with R1 you have to put the doors in midway through the assembly process.

Last edited:
you assemble them in a certain order to hold the pieces in place but once assembled you can't lift the doors out unless you disassemble it again.
Normally doors are the last thing you put in.
I don't even know how to disassemble without the sides feeling like they are about to collapse

I don't even know how to disassemble without the sides feeling like they are about to collapse
put masking tape around the outside first and then remove the top,
your best bet is still to do what someone said earlier;stick a screwdriver in the slot and snap the lock,then replace the lock with something you have a key for

Last edited:
The lock is already snapped, but it's locked, I have the key, but it just turns and doesn't catch :(

It is not that hard, surely? With the newer reptile one enclosures, its as simple as just taking the top off by taking out the screws. Then it just comes right off. Anyway, each to their own

In that case a locksmith probably can't do anything until the door is removed. The way to pull the enclosure apart would be by taking off one of the sides completely. That way the doors and back are still there to hold the top up. Remove all the screws on one side and pull the side wall off then you will be able to remove the snake. Then pull the rest of the enclosure down to remove the doors. Once this is done a locksmith may be able to fix the lock or Reptile One may sell complete doors. If not it is just a waiting game to find a complete enclosure at a reasonable price that you can salvage a door off.

Update:

We were going to get a new enclosure same size, comes with everything for 100$

The person who owns this snake that's locked is stingey and won't fork out some money for his snake so he is going to do a makeshift rig using wood around the house

Let's see how this plays out, will the glass shatter? Find out next time!

(I would take the enclosure if I had the room as a future home for my baby! But not a lot of room ATM :( )

UPDATE: here's what fell out after taking the snapped piece of lock out.

Now to construct the Goldberg machine

348j41t.jpg

Last edited:
well done ,Aussie ingenuity at it's best
Haha thanks!
Now to make it less of an eye sore or find a new lock that works with these kinds of doors.. any suggestions? The ones that come with the enclosure seem to be out and impossible to get

In that case a locksmith probably can't do anything until the door is removed. The way to pull the enclosure apart would be by taking off one of the sides completely. That way the doors and back are still there to hold the top up. Remove all the screws on one side and pull the side wall off then you will be able to remove the snake. Then pull the rest of the enclosure down to remove the doors. Once this is done a locksmith may be able to fix the lock or Reptile One may sell complete doors. If not it is just a waiting game to find a complete enclosure at a reasonable price that you can salvage a door off.
reptile 1 enclosures don't work like that,you have to take off the top and then the sides come apart.There are no screws on the side.

Haha thanks!
Now to make it less of an eye sore or find a new lock that works with these kinds of doors.. any suggestions? The ones that come with the enclosure seem to be out and impossible to get
I can only think of something similar to what you have done,brackets at each end and a draw bar going across the full length of the tank,we had to do something similar with our Darwin who used to push against the doors banging and banging and actually escaped once

20170705_210053.jpglooks like this20170705_210112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back