Advice on Coastal Carpet python.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrodmclean

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been told young Coastal's only need to be in a small tub with the heat source being a heatmat alone. My question is, is this true? And if so, is it the same for Adults?
If it isnt true, why do they need a heat lamp as well as a heat mat, If both make heat for the coastal?
Just trying to learn things about them, so easiest answer please :)

Hatchies and adults are generally housed differently.
Hatchies, usually in small tubs or 'click-clacks' with a heat mat; and adults in larger terrarium style enclosures with globes as a heat source - though heat mats and cords are considered cheaper to run.

Why do people change to globes, if you dont mind me asking?
Would a heat mat for an Adult be just as good? I have just heard of people saying their globes usually blow after 3 months or so, so i thought a mat would easier, but if im wrong ill definitely get a globe, how old would they be when you put them with a globe in a terrarium?

Hatchies and adults are generally housed differently.
Hatchies, usually in small tubs or 'click-clacks' with a heat mat; and adults in larger terrarium style enclosures with globes as a heat source - though heat mats and cords are considered cheaper to run.
Why do people change to globes, if you dont mind me asking?
Would a heat mat for an Adult be just as good? I have just heard of people saying their globes usually blow after 3 months or so, so i thought a mat would easier, but if im wrong ill definitely get a globe, how old would they be when you put them with a globe in a terrarium?

You are going to need a very large heat mat for a fully grown coastal. Also how are you incorporating this with your substrate.

Bulb at the top controlled with a thermostat is less messy and gives a good basking spot and heat gradient.

As for bulb life, in almost two years I have not replaced either of my ceramic heat bulbs. Using a dimmer type thermostat probably has something to do with that.

Cheers.

Adult carpets like to climb, so a heat mat is not as effective as a heat source.

globes provide ambient temps and heat gradients as well as a basking spot - heat mats and cords do not.

I am new to the hobby and recently acquired a Coastal Carpet Python as my first snake. It is about 55 cm long not sure of age.
It lives in a click clack container for now. What would be a good size terrarium to get as it grows to adult size? Will I need to get an intermediate size between Juvie size and adult size? I will probably end up making it as I have a Bunnings store close to me so getting the bits and pieces should be straight forward.

For an adult Coastal, the bigger the better if you have the room. Coastals grow anywhere from (depending on the sex) 7 - 14 feet. I'd be looking at a minimum of 5 x 2 x 2 for an adult, though people do keep them in smaller ones. I think as long as you have lots of hides, you can put a Juvie in the big enclosure. If you are making it, go big. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back