Feeding poultry to stimmies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerthHerper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just got my stimson's python (not sure how old, probably around 6 months old) and I was wondering if I could feed it slices of chicken. Frozen pinkies aren't exactly desirable in a fridge that contains food, so I was wondering if chicken could be used?

Cheers

Simple answer is no. Snakes require whole food items (guts, bones, everything). Feeding only strips of muscle will not give your snake the nutrients that it requires to both grow and survive long term. Feeding chicken strips every couple of feeds to add variety is fine, but it is not something to be given as a sole food source.

Honestly though, there's nothing really different about a frozen rodent to any other frozen meat you have in the freezer. Just all comes down to how you view it. If it bothers you just keep them in a sealed plastic bag that's wrapped in paper. You also have the option of getting a small freezer for the purpose of keeping the rodents in if you really can't stand it. Honestly though if you want to keep snakes you'll need to keep frozen rodents, day old chickens or quail in your freezer at some point.

There is always the option to breed your own rodents. However, it may not be the most cost effective solution for a single snake though and you may find yourself having to freeze some to have the size feed you require on hand.

Cheers, Cameron

However, as a once a month treat, my friend at the Reptile Park told me it's okay to feed them chicken neck. All the handraised 'gators at the park are fed that, and apparently it's okay for larger snakes (over 1m) too.

However, as a once a month treat, my friend at the Reptile Park told me it's okay to feed them chicken neck. All the handraised 'gators at the park are fed that, and apparently it's okay for larger snakes (over 1m) too.

Chicken necks still have bone in them though, being the difference to chicken strips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You could try baby chicks, NOT day olds as they have high amounts of. Something I can't remember that is bad for snakes
(You could try gutting them and getting the yolk out)

Chicken necks still have bone in them though, being the difference to chicken strips

In the first message he said he couldn't stand pinkies, so I think chicken necks will be acceptable.

We have only ever fed chicken, in any form, to our monitors. To our pythons we have fed rats, mice, quail, and day old chicks.

Young snakes get their calcium and essential nutrients from the skeleton and organs of whole animals and the skin and fur are essential roughage for the digestive tract and you should be feeding fuzzies as soon as the snake is large enough, to feed them chicken strips will result in retarded unhealthy growth and eventual serious health problems. An occasional feed of chicken necks is not a problem for adult snakes but why do it when whole rodents, birds etc are a much healthier alternative. Frozen rodents in a clean plastic bag are no different to any other frozen meat in your freezer.

I meant young snakes especially need the nutrients for their rapid growth, obviously adults too but an occasional chicken neck with skin on probably does no harm

Haha, cheers guys. I'll stick to pinky mice for now (might chuck in a bit of chicken every now and then). I might get him onto chicken necks once he gets larger.

By the way, it's not that I can't stand pinkies, it's just that my folks think it's a little weird, I'll stick to my current arrangements.

Haha, cheers guys. I'll stick to pinky mice for now (might chuck in a bit of chicken every now and then). I might get him onto chicken necks once he gets larger.

By the way, it's not that I can't stand pinkies, it's just that my folks think it's a little weird, I'll stick to my current arrangements.

I've got a tub in th freezer for rats and mice so it's not touching the people food :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back