Advice for feeding spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe02

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just after some advice/opinions on feeding my spotted python. I have a 3 year old female spotted python and am wanting to see how everyone else feeds theirs or advice anyone would like to give me. I feed her one large frozen rat once a month (this was advice given to me from a vet), however i was wondering if i should maybe be feeding her a bit more often. She is a good size measuring roughly 1.5m last time i measured her. I'm not concerned at all with her health, just wanting opinions from other snake owners.

Also i am wanting advice on feeding her quail. Have always fed her mice/rats and she has never had an issue with these, however i feel that maybe incorporating quail into her diet every now and then might be a good change for her. Is there anything i should know about feeding her quail?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is her below :)
IMG_4521.JPG

Nothing wrong with the occasional quail, although be prepared for the poop to be more messy. Possibly a large rat is too much for an adult spotted. In the photo it does look a little on the larger side. One size down won't hurt it at all; if it is still eating at this time of year, you could even go 6 to 8 weeks between feeds until it gets warmer. Just some observations.

My 2 year old "Banana" Spotted (1m, 485g) eats 35 - 40g rats weekly/fortnightly depending on the time of the year, so what you are feeding her should be alright. Mine gets it down quite quickly usually, and is active again 3 days later.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it!
Also is there anything I need to do to prepare the quail before giving it to her? I've read in other forums that you're supposed to cut the beaks off..? Is this true? Are they already prepared for feeding before being packaged? I'm not sure if I'm prepared to do that haha

My 2 5 year old Spotties are on 80 grm rats every 7-10 days during the warmer months and during the colder months this drops down to every 5-6 weeks or i wait till they come out of brumation and are continually patrolling the enclosure looking for food, as @pinefamily said about the quail be prepared for a god awful mess when the quail goes through the digestive process "IT GOES EVERYWHERE" and smells to high heaven. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

My 2 5 year old Spotties are on 80 grm rats every 7-10 days during the warmer months and during the colder months this drops down to every 5-6 weeks or i wait till they come out of brumation and are continually patrolling the enclosure looking for food, as @pinefamily said about the quail be prepared for a god awful mess when the quail goes through the digestive process "IT GOES EVERYWHERE" and smells to high heaven. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling
Question about brumating. Do you mimick winter for the snake ? Or keep it warm all year round. Obviously it might get warmer in summer but shouldn't it be kept at the recommended temp all year.

Do i have this all wrong and it's nit necessarily got anything to do winter.? Will the snake choose the cool side and brumate over do exidibgvto stay in the warm side?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

@shiggins316 Around May-June when my Spotties start to knock back feeds and spend more time in their hides i turn their heat (Belly) down to around 30 deg C (from 34 Deg C) If they decide not to go into Brumation and remain active i will then turn it back up, But if they do decide to Brumate i will leave them be till about Aug-Sept or until they start pacing the enclosure showing signs of hunger, at that time i will remove the blanket from the enclosure and turn the heat back up, Not everyone or their Pythons are the same so it is really a case of trial and error, you will soon get in sync with your Python(s) and it then becomes more a pleasure than a chore. :) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

@shiggins316 Around May-June when my Spotties start to knock back feeds and spend more time in their hides i turn their heat (Belly) down to around 30 deg C (from 34 Deg C) If they decide not to go into Brumation and remain active i will then turn it back up, But if they do decide to Brumate i will leave them be till about Aug-Sept or until they start pacing the enclosure showing signs of hunger, at that time i will remove the blanket from the enclosure and turn the heat back up, Not everyone or their Pythons are the same so it is really a case of trial and error, you will soon get in sync with your Python(s) and it then becomes more a pleasure than a chore. :) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling
Thanks mate. Good tips !

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, just after some advice/opinions on feeding my spotted python. I have a 3 year old female spotted python and am wanting to see how everyone else feeds theirs or advice anyone would like to give me. I feed her one large frozen rat once a month (this was advice given to me from a vet), however i was wondering if i should maybe be feeding her a bit more often. She is a good size measuring roughly 1.5m last time i measured her. I'm not concerned at all with her health, just wanting opinions from other snake owners.

Also i am wanting advice on feeding her quail. Have always fed her mice/rats and she has never had an issue with these, however i feel that maybe incorporating quail into her diet every now and then might be a good change for her. Is there anything i should know about feeding her quail?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is her below :)
View attachment 320978
That is the chunkiest Spotted Python I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back