Carpet python won't eat!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leahzurek

Reaction score
I have recently moved in a friends coastal carpet python to my home as she was not well enough to look after him correctly so I have taken ownership.
He last ate a jumbo rat at the start of June. I'm told he gets fed at the beginning of every month. I offered him his usual jumbo rat in his seperate feeding container 3 weeks ago which he did not take. I left it with him for a few hours. 2 weeks ago I offered him just a large adult rat which he did not take. 1 week ago I offered him a large adult rat from a different supplier and he did not take it. Today I offered him a medium sized rat and he has not taken it. I'm starting to really worry as he has slowed down significantly even tho his temperature in his enclosure is warm enough (warm end average is 30 degrees and cool end is 25)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may be in brumation or still settling into the new place. I'd suggest giving him a few weeks and if he's out and looking like he'd like a feed, then offer him something again.

Don't worry until the 3rd month of not eating :p

As said, don't keep offering a food item if it doesn't look like it's searching as you will just waste money

Moving house and the time of year are both reasons why your python is not eating. Is it still active, or hiding away? If it is hiding away, turn the heat down or off, until you see it out and about again.

Moving house and the time of year are both reasons why your python is not eating. Is it still active, or hiding away? If it is hiding away, turn the heat down or off, until you see it out and about again.

He's moving around a lot and looks like he's looking for food. He doesn't stay in one spot for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry. The record for a coastal carpet voluntarily not eating and still remaining fairly healthy is over 2 years. While this is a bit of an extreme, a couple of months isn't a problem for a snake.

I am likewise, it's September and im in Southern NSW near the VIC border.
My carpet Python has always been a regular eater, but now hasn't eaten in over a month. He's 3 years old.
We have just moved into a new house, but he didn't eat before then either. He is active and appears to be looking around his tank a lot. is showing none of his usual signs of shedding which is when he normally goes off his food.

Should I be concerned?

No, at 3 years old your python is probably looking for a mate. Just keep offering food periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back