Reptiles down under

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone here knows. The site went down over a week ago. Hopefully they are just having some downtime to deal with the scammers.

They took my $10 via PayPal for a featured add that never appeared, that was 2 weeks before the site went down.
This has happened before so who knows?
A few months ago I did an ASIC search on the company owning the site, Australian Reptile Classifieds, and it had been deregistered which is not a good sign.

This message appears when you access the site now which would indicate they have not paid their hosting provider but that has happened before to. I hope they sort it out because it was the only site where you could quickly sell reptiles.

"Account Suspended
This Account has been suspended.
Contact your hosting provider for more information."

Yeah it really was the best website for buying/ selling reptiles. What else can we use now?

You know, loads of people hated RDU for the scams and stuff, but now we're all mourning our loss... :D

I am fairly sure that was the case with RDU as well. Sold items would have 'sold' written in bold on the ad and you couldn't open the ad for viewing.

I don't know about other people but it is difficult to remove or delete ads.
If something is sold we should be able to delete the ad easily

Under the old Site structure this was by design, Marketplace threads were rarely removed. Removing contact info and adding a SOLD note was deemed sufficient.

Under the old Site structure this was by design, Marketplace threads were rarely removed. Removing contact info and adding a SOLD note was deemed sufficient.
I think it is better that way. Then there is a record of what was for sale for people to be able to see what people were breeding and where the prices were at.

I don't know about other people but it is difficult to remove or delete ads.
If something is sold we should be able to delete the ad easily

I can see where this is coming from.It would be nice to have the option to delete an ad. I have had ads up that I have previously wanted to delete. Not that it impacts on the site as a marketplace though.

I am fairly sure that was the case with RDU as well. Sold items would have 'sold' written in bold on the ad and you couldn't open the ad for viewing.

I think most ads would have been deleted at sale, (yes a few used the sold function), there was also an option to 'freeze' an ad once an offer was placed/accepted which was a pretty useful function.

I dont think there is anything really wrong with the market place here on AP its just that users of the site seem to prefer making purchases elsewhere. (Or at least thats what I think. Maybe I'm trying to sell the wrong animals)
I have seen some really top quality animals for sale on here with little activity, ads seem to sit there for months till the seller drops prices to what I see as being below market averages.
Maybe there are simply not enough active members on the site these days.

On RDU you could delete adds as well as mark them as sold but they were not automatically deleted, I left a couple there for years and people found them useful to compare previous clutches and prices.
While there were problems with scam adds these were obvious and never a problem to anyone experienced, it was a good selling site, I sold hundreds of hatchlings at very good prices on RDU over the years and purchased a few without problems.
I've tried other sites and never sold any and unfortunately if you look at the adds run here hardly any of those sell.

Sorry Paul I did not see your comment before I posted. RDU adds were free and there were thousands of them and this attracted thousands of "lookers" and resulted in quick sales. My featured adds ($10) used to get up to 400 looks in a week resulting in many serious enquiries and regular sales at good prices.
I'm now hoping some of my breeders are not gravid as I have no idea how I will sell hatchlings.
If the owners of RDU can't get their act together someone should buy it. An extension of the paid featured classifieds would produce more revenue and the scam add problem can be addressed by supervision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Paul I did not see your comment before I posted. RDU adds were free and there were thousands of them and this attracted thousands of "lookers" and resulted in quick sales. My featured adds ($10) used to get up to 400 looks in a week resulting in many serious enquiries and regular sales at good prices.
I'm now hoping some of my breeders are not gravid as I have no idea how I will sell hatchlings.
If the owners of RDU can't get their act together someone should buy it. An extension of the paid featured classifieds would produce more revenue and the scam add problem can be addressed by supervision.
a

Not a problem yellowtail. I agree somewhat with your comments. I have had animals sell at full price, no negotiation within 20 mins of posting adds on RDU. While I have had successes in other places unfortunately I can't say the same about AP marketplace.
Is someone taking over the RDU site even an option? How about it Stuart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back