Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely noticing a difference in terms of behaviour between my captive bred and wild caught tristis monitors. The fact that these little ones allowed me to get so close when feeding speaks volumes. While still in the early stages, I think they may be associating my opening the door with food, particularly in the evening. It's a personal experiment of mine, anyway.

apsGulping Crickets.jpg
apsheadfirst.jpg
apsBabyTristis.jpg

Last edited:
On the mend surgery done!! .. another few days in hospital.. and then home to my family.. All went well. The bacteria had gotten tendons in my fingers and was spreading into my hand.. could have gotten a lot worse if I left it any longer than I did * dumb **** ..

Instagram: murph_BTK

Okay update and a warning!! If you get bitten by your animals wash it out extremely well.. I have spent the past 3 days in hospital having treatment on an infection from my monitor bite it spread very fast after a few days.. and now I am being monitored very closely.. maybe under the knife kinda stuff.. so be careful all..

I've been bit by spiders snakes skinks and crocodiles and yet nothing has happened like this [emoji21].. wasted a bloody good weekend here too!!

Peace
b7b5323f9d53acb5bc5ddbeb7487c4aa.jpg

Thats gold murph. One of my orries tagged me and i had 4 weeks of antibiotics, i just couldn't get rid of the infection. I didn't miss out on a weekend without beer tho. Thats the real killer

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

i assume you let the doctor know that monitors carry gram negative bacteria , most doctors wouldnt be aware of that
You know what assume does [emoji6]... I let the professionals do their thing..and they have been nothing short of amazing.. some of the nurses are [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91].. so there is always a up in a downer situation..

You know what assume does [emoji6]... I let the professionals do their thing..and they have been nothing short of amazing.. some of the nurses are [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91].. so there is always a up in a downer situation..

Always a light at the end of the end of the tunnel murph. Tempting me to stuff me hand in a thawed chook and whack it in with lacies.

Its just an interesting case as recent studies have shown all monitors have venom. There has been a few cases where certain people have reacted to that venom differently.
It is an interesting topic, i was reading a study a few months ago which differentiated between bacteria and venom in lace monitors. I also know someone that was bitten by a 2ft captive bred lacie and was hospitalized within 6 hours with paralysis. It started with numbness around the bite area that soon traveled up the complete arm and to the whole left side of the body. I believe he was given anti venom. I'll get more details from him on the exact details. I was only bitten by a 30cm orrie i had 3 courses of antibiotics, i only went to a local GP. The swelling went down in 3 weeks but the pain stayed in my knuckle and wrist for roughly 8 mths. Not enough study done on the topic.

It is an interesting topic, i was reading a study a few months ago which differentiated between bacteria and venom in lace monitors. I also know someone that was bitten by a 2ft captive bred lacie and was hospitalized within 6 hours with paralysis. It started with numbness around the bite area that soon traveled up the complete arm and to the whole left side of the body. I believe he was given anti venom. I'll get more details from him on the exact details. I was only bitten by a 30cm orrie i had 3 courses of antibiotics, i only went to a local GP. The swelling went down in 3 weeks but the pain stayed in my knuckle and wrist for roughly 8 mths. Not enough study done on the topic.

From what i remember reading lace monitors contain venom glands inside there mouths. Not injected like snakes, i believe they have glands on the sides of the inside of the mouth and when there stimulated they release venom which pools in the front of the mouth with saliva. When it bites the teeth open a wound and let the saliva in. Not as officiant as a snake bite and don't necessarily release venom with every bite. I wonder if its triggered by so called food mode or stimulation, anyone who has witnessed a lacie go from calm to agro in a split second were there eyes dialate its incredible to watch, they just seem to snap. It could have something to do with the release of venom.

Well i got home yesterday.. and checked on my family.. feed them all change water blah blah.. when it came to my blk headed.. I was quite nervous and anxious it was nuts how i feeling.... I harbour no I'll feelings towards him and will continue to gain trust and respect.. *just won't be picking him up for a while [emoji4]

** out of interest guys n gals..what should i ask for $$$$ on of these?? 2400 long 600 deep 1200 high... all galvanised and painted in kill rust etc etc i have 2 one comes with a yellow spotted monitor.. included and all the branches etc inside...
I have a idea but interested in what you think...

Give me a figure [emoji6][emoji4]
15267c0ba91a30bd359f145dc5409f05.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back