What Is Your Favourite Non-native Monitor?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Operation-Goanna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Mine is the blue spotted tree monitor.
search
Varanus macraei

Note: species from Christmas island and other islands do count as exotic.

I count it as exotic because I will never be able to own one: emerald tree monitor (varanus prasinus).

Does that mean I can count numerous Australian monitors because I'll never be able to keep them thanks to silly DpAW rules, even if they are native to WA?

Whinge aside, I love Varanus beccarii because of their black colouring and their monkey tails are just simply adorable. Here's some images also stolen from Google.

blacktree-monitor-head.jpg

42d5611987a5558e664d2b06cb4de876.jpg

Apparently there are some people with emeralds legally in Aus, from what I have heard however I am not sure on the status of them currently

Technically they are allowed as they can be found in the Torres Strait. But the chances of us ever owning one are virtually zilch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't quote me on this (a bloke down at the pub told me so it must be true) but are there not some on the mainland? I know we have at least one other prasinid on Cape York (varanus keithhorni).

Fire skinks are a very nice looking medium sized lizard.

Leopard geckos look great and are very popular O/seas.

Anoles would be pretty interesting to have too.

Emerald tree monitor hands down

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

So there are legal and illegal Emerald Tree's in Australian collections. There were a well known about legal pair held in QLD for a while and there is supposedly legal ones in NSW currently (The one's in NSW could just be herp gossip though). As for their presence on the mainland, there are growing reports of sightings of them up in Cape York from semi-reliable sources, however as I understand it there has been no Museum or institutional categorisation of them. Just as and FYI!

Also, I'd totally go for V. macraei too. Little stunners! Though V. beccarii are stunners too!

That's a nice monitor you've got there mate. I just came back from 1 month in Africa and saw some wild niles, they are really beautiful!

Thanks, I`ve been to Africa several times and also seen them in the wild, here`s my (late) V. niloticus he died a few years ago from a tumour in his windpipe (inoperable) he was 17 years old, I`d raised him from a hatchling, he reached 230cm.... 25021554141_02b296116e_k.jpg Dogs in lakes + 028.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back