safe adhesive for securing heat cord on a tile?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapped

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a quick search but couldn't find the answer.

I'm making a heat tile, with heat cord coiled (in a circle) and sandwiched between two ceramic tiles.
I held the heat cord in place temporarily with electricians tape while I got the right design for the temp I need.

How/what do I use to hold the heat cord permanently in place on the tile? What is the safest thing to use?

Any suggestions? TIA

Last edited:
Selleys 3-in-1 from Bunnings or wherever is a great sealant/adhesive which I have used extensively in numerous applications. It has better adhesive properties, in a wider range of substrates, than most silicones, and is extremely tough. It has a slight petroleum smell initially, but this quickly dissipates as it cures over a few days. Comes in white and clear. It's what I would use without hesitation.

Jamie

Thank you both, I think I'll take a trip to the local hardware store and see what they have.

I threw out some roof/gutter sealant just a few months back, thinking I wouldn't need it again. Whoops. haha

I use aluminium tape, available from bunnings. It's in the building section. It's not-so-permanent unlike liquid nails.

Although it may be less of a hazard in a situation like this, I never recommend any sort of sticky-backed tape anywhere in a reptile enclosure where there is any chance whatsoever that an animal can come into contact with it. It's an absolute rule for me that I never use tapes of any kind inside an enclosure. I do use the aluminium tape to spread heat from heat cords routed into the bottom of hatchy racks, but that is outside the tubs.

Jamie

Although it may be less of a hazard in a situation like this, I never recommend any sort of sticky-backed tape anywhere in a reptile enclosure where there is any chance whatsoever that an animal can come into contact with it. It's an absolute rule for me that I never use tapes of any kind inside an enclosure. I do use the aluminium tape to spread heat from heat cords routed into the bottom of hatchy racks, but that is outside the tubs.

Jamie
I completely agree, I think i had a brain fart on that one.

In regards to silicon it is always best to use a glass silicon that is aquarium safe. If any is ever ingested for some reason it shouldn't do any harm to the animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back