Need advice for branches

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
is it ok to use a rough bark branch that has bark all the way along?

Are there any species of trees that are bad for pythons?

I just noticed the trees out front are getting close to cables so might cut em but just worried the bark might be too rough, or I could take bark off a chunk of it?

I'll provide pictures when I wake up properly :)

There is an amazing feature on here called a search engine.
You should try it sometime as most basic questions can be easily researched........like this one

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum...donts-for-carpet-pythons.220117/#post-2493723
Trust me I looked. What happens when I'm not a botanist and don't know what trees I have? It says the species I CAN use not what I have to use if I want my snake to live// doesn't say what NOT to use either. I admit I forgot to take pics yesterday because I was busy.

I'd really appreciate if you'd keep the smartass responses off my threads as I am still learning about the pickier stuff/stuff I don't know like suitable trees.

Most trees are ok for pythons, especially natives. Try and avoid really sappy branches, and soft stringy trees. Rough should be ok, just make sure any loose, or potentially loose, bark is removed. If in doubt, take all the bark off. That's what we have done in the past.

hate people who have smartass comments. anyway but i use for my coastal carpet a range of pine logs. gum tree branches and logs are my most used natural items

I second Pinefamilies bark idea, I usually take all of it off just because there's sometimes creepy crawlies underneath. Big thick sheets of bark are good to use, the kind you see in big curls on the ground, I think they are from a type of eucalyptus? They make great tunnels for snakes and lizards.

But branches with the bark on are okay to use :)

Here's the tree I plan on lopping down

The bark isn't "loose" you have to really force it off like jabbing with something

I agree, if everyone just searched old threads and never started new ones the forum may die pretty quickly lol but anyway back to the question. I have used natural branches in a few of my carpet Python setups and they have been fine. If you are worried about things living in under the bark you can always soak it in water for a while and then dry it out again before putting it in. Good luck with it [emoji1303]

The branch will be fine and shouldn't cause any problems for the snake but from personal experience you may end up with some problems when trying to clean it if (or should I say when) the snake craps on it because the faeces and uric acid can be hard to get out of the gaps in the bark.

Cheers.

George

Last edited:
Trust me I looked. What happens when I'm not a botanist and don't know what trees I have? It says the species I CAN use not what I have to use if I want my snake to live// doesn't say what NOT to use either. I admit I forgot to take pics yesterday because I was busy.

I'd really appreciate if you'd keep the smartass responses off my threads as I am still learning about the pickier stuff/stuff I don't know like suitable trees.
hate people who have smartass comments. anyway but i use for my coastal carpet a range of pine logs. gum tree branches and logs are my most used natural items

Gents, If you consider my comment to be "smartass" as you say you must be reading between the lines. I consider myself to be nothing more than helpful.
Bl69aze.......and how on earth would WE know what trees you have either???? Your statement holds no water. You don't know what trees you have. Your initial question asked what you can't use so I sent you a link offering you advice. You choose to attack me because I answered your questions.
Simple solution....I shall offer no further advice. Problem solved.

pauls-pythons stop complaining we didn't attack you this forum is to ask other people who know a lot about reptiles and theirs no point of making threads if people are just going to not help newbies and random questions

Its a good idea to soak the branch before. It's probably uncommon, but once I put a branch in my carpet's enclosure and she got mites (I'm assuming they were from the branch, not sure what else it could have been). So soaking should drown any mites :)

Its a good idea to soak the branch before. It's probably uncommon, but once I put a branch in my carpet's enclosure and she got mites (I'm assuming they were from the branch, not sure what else it could have been). So soaking should drown any mites :)
your better off soaking the branch as ashley said i did the same and had mites
I'll prob blast it with hose a bit to get rid of anything loose (I'm sure it will get a bit loose after being wet anyway) then place in sun and do that once or twice, I've been told/read that trees that are still fresh shouldn't be too bad how ever the last branch I cut in previous thread I made was plagued with lil ants:(

your better off soaking the branch as ashley said i did the same and had mites

snake mites don't come from branches. they are reptile specific mites and can only survive on a host reptile. your mites must have come from coming into contact with an animal that did have mites (either yourself or your animal). thats why it is very important to sanitise yourself very carefully before and after handing your animals

If you have any misgivings about creepy-crawlies from the branch put it in a black garbage bag and leave out in the sun all day, this should kill any hitch-hikers and dry up any sap from the new cut that might get stuck to your Animals. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

pauls-pythons stop complaining we didn't attack you this forum is to ask other people who know a lot about reptiles and theirs no point of making threads if people are just going to not help newbies and random questions

Oh dear. And who's attacking? I'm here to help newbies and would consider myself to be an active and helpful member of this forum. When advice is given it is normally questioned, confirmed and if deemed appropriate by the OP implemented. Doing research of the written word is part of the process and normally undertaken to have an idea before you seek clarification of your questions. Simply asking every question you have on the forum is nothing less than lazy.
Stop trying to be the big man....being so disrespectful to experienced members is not adding any value. It's becoming a factor of the posts on here that if the advice is not what is wanted or expected the 'advisor' is then berated. This is not a method of interaction that will endear you to the groups, normally when advice is given, even though it may not be the advice you wanted to hear, it should be considered. After all it is advice whether it is what you expected or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back