Gecko compatibility question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozil

Reaction score
G'day,

I recently got a female southern leaf-tailed gecko, broad-leaf-tailed gecko, Phyllurus platurus or whatever you want to call them. I am wondering if they would be alright in an enclosure with marbled geckos (Christinus marmoratus)? She's an adult, not sure on her age though.

Thanks,

G'day and welcome!!:D

I imagine that most people on this forum would not suggest mixing species.

The main risk in this combo would be the larger broad tailed gecko munching the marbled gecko, however generally cohabiting different species opens up a plethora of unexpected (possible) complications.

I hope you get some more advice from those with a bit more experience than I :D

I used to keep a pair of broad-tails in a 5-foot tank with a large male thick-tailed gecko and a common scaly-foot for many years - the scaly-foot would cruise around during the day while the geckos slept and then they'd swap over at night. Generally this arrangement worked a treat, but in saying that, the large female broad-tail would chomp the head of both her partner and the male thick-tail if either made an amorous advance towards her (luckily they were big enough to take it). She had a pretty ferocious appetite too, and I imagine if I'd put a small gecko like a Christinus marmoratus in there it would have lost its tail (at best) or its life!

So personally I wouldn't risk putting the two together. An adult broad-tail might not consume a smaller gecko but could certainly do some damage to one.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back