Outdoor snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damo1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, i was wandering what snakes i could keep in an outdoor enclosure with a heated hide in Victoria.
Thanks.

Elapids native to Victoria can be kept in pits.

Murray Darlings come from a cooler climate and may do ok in Melbourne (at a guess).

Not a snake but a critter I'd be interested in is a parentie could you keep them outside here with an insulated heated hide box.

I don't keep monitors but Perenties are native to the hot arid areas of northern Australia and while they survive the cold nights of inland desert areas by digging burrows they have evolved to live in a climate where year round daytime temperatures are always high. Putting one in an outdoor cage in Victoria is animal cruelty and it will not survive.
I suggest you read one of the good books available on the subject and do a bit of research.
Perhaps one of the experienced monitor keepers on this site can advise on cool climate monitors?

A lace monitor could work if it had a nice, insulated heat box. They're pretty similar, though lacies are more of an escape artist due to their arboreal nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back