IM A NEWB!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash88

Reaction score
Not really but kinda.
I have been raised around reptiles, handled and cared for them but never personally owned one..... so thats where inlays the multiple questions roaming my brain and the interweb sending me to the basic fact sheets.
I am about to receive my first enclosure (in the morning, yay one step closure to my scaley baby).

I am on the look out for a stimpson s hatchling or yearling ( in south east queensland, if you know of any)

Butttt my dream snake is the beautiful sexy olive.

Now i have tried and tried to find actual recorded info on its growth rates ( the forensic scientist in me needs numbers lol) by maybe months or years, but i cant find anything. Now i am WELLLL aware of their full grown sizes. Yes they is big.

So the question isssss

If i were to side step a stimpson and wait for an olive would the 3ft tank suffice for atleast a little while why i got s/he a bigger tank built.???

Whats your personal thought on these sexy olives?

And maybe any owners have pics of their set ups.
And of course and and all advise tips and so on

Peace✌

Thanx guys cant wait to here from you

Hi,

If you're in Brisbane, Pet City at Mount Gravatt has some Stimson's. They come with a hatchie haven, which is useful. I bought mine from them about a month ago, and they had one left a couple of weeks ago. A pet shop on Wynnum Road at Morningside also had some, but they were much more expensive and didn't come with a hatchie haven.

Dunno much about Olives though.

A 3 foot tank would keep an olive python happy for a while.

Growth rates can be very tricky with snakes as there is very rarely a set-in-stone value as to how big a snake SHOULD be at any given point.
Growth depends on how much the snake eats, the size of the meal it eats, how often it eats, and the individual genetics of the snake.

My Stimmie, for example is about 2 years old and a tad over 3 foot from memory. I’ve seen other Stimmies at his age which were half his length or twice his width. All healthy snakes, but incredibly varied in size.
My yearling Woma is about 4foot long. Again seen ones of the same just a fraction of his size. He was one of the bigger ones in his clutch, came from big parents and never refuses a meal.
My Diamond on the other hand, while coming from big parents isn’t a great eater. At a year is barely past 1.5 foot and thin as a pencil. Still a very healthy, active snake who I do expect to (eventually) reach 6-8 feet in length.

Also on a side note, females do tend to grow bigger than males, but it’s not unheard of to have a monster sized male or a small female.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back