R1 Elapids (NSW)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozil

Reaction score
G'day,

Welp, it turns out my dream has come true. I've always wanted an elapid, and I only have an R1 license, and apparently there are some you can keep here in NSW.
My question is: What is the easiest to keep? (best for a beginner, if any). I'm new to keeping snakes, (have had a diamond for less than a year) and I'm not sure whether they are good for someone so inexperienced like me. Are they very hard to look after? I've heard they are touchy feeders? I'm very willing to work hard and do heaps of research and preparation. Also, preferably something that needs relatively low maintenance.

@Yellowtail
Thats weird... The "NSW Native Animal Keeper Species List" says you can keep Eastern shovel-nosed snakes, Dwarf crowned snakes, Golden crowned snakes, Yellow-faced whipsnakes, Devis’s banded snakes, White-lipped snakes, Mustard-bellied snakes, Red-naped snakes, Orange-naped snakes, Marsh snakes and Variable black-naped snakes with an R1 license in NSW. Not trying to argue, but thats just what I read.

upload_2017-9-20_18-18-34.png

upload_2017-9-20_18-19-12.png

Have owned a white lip snake for a good while back in the day. Nice and small but I could only ever get it to feed on garden skinks . So unless you have a big supply of them around I would steer clear ... I hear there very hard to find breeders too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the elapids you can keep on this licence is that they are very small and fidgety. Most of them are partial to bodies of water and so would naturally eat frogs, skinks and not much else. If you want an easy hot, try the brown tree snake (rear fanged colubrid). They can become fairly tolerant of being handled in captivity and while they are sometimes a bit finicky about their food, they settle down to eat defrosted rodents well and are nowhere as stubborn as elapids. They are also bigger, at 1.5 - 2m in length.

Thanks for the info everyone. What are the chances of finding a reasonably priced devi's?

Thanks for the info everyone. What are the chances of finding a reasonably priced devi's?
Not very common at all in the hobby... you may be able to source one from a breeder, but not many people work with R1 elapids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back