HELP!! Gravid PTS + Fighting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Just got home from work and have noticed one of my pink tongues has marks on her scales along her back.

I've suspected she has been gravid for a while and was wondering if this could be signs of fighting with her cagemate?

They are siblings, both purchased and kept together since I got them earlier in the year and I've never seen any aggression from either one. (Not that it isn't possible or likely)

There is nothing in the enclosure that I know of that she could have scraped herself on and no marks on the male.

Temps are between 33 and 38 at the basking spot and I have it on for 3 hours in the morning and 4 in the afternoon.

I've included pictures and will probably seperate her from the male just in case, but would appreciate your opinions.

Smaller male, no marks.

IMG_3671.jpg

Female. Note the size difference.

IMG_3670.jpg

Last two pictures are of the marks on her back.

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

Last edited:
Has there ever been any dominance issues that you've seen? Or could be the other one's "tapped her on the shoulder", and she said no.
Either way, separation is a must, at least until she gives birth.

I can't telt from the pics if it is a bite or scape or skin infection but I would not move it yet but see what happens the next days, keep an eye on the marks, they heal well pts's. Males are not normally hard on females for a long time unless mating time. If the marks grow go see a vet.

Has there ever been any dominance issues that you've seen? Or could be the other one's "tapped her on the shoulder", and she said no.
Either way, separation is a must, at least until she gives birth.

None that I've seen at all. They sleep together and eat together just fine. That's not to say they haven't fought when I've not been there though.

I'm not 100% certain she's gravid but has definitely ballooned over the last few weeks. If she is gravid, would he still make moves on her?

I will seperate them, probably her into a simple tub setup as that may make it easier if she is gravid and it will ensure I can easily locate all of her young.

If you live downunder, isn't it about matingtime because females blow up, like bluetongues, just around matingtime and if you separat take the male out and leave female in her normal tank

Yeah we are just coming out of winter so now is the time... I'll see how she goes and if it gets worse I'll take her to the vet and see if they think it's something more ominous.

I'm kinda hoping she is gravid though, because that was the idea in getting a male and female, just didn't think they were quite old enough yet. Having said that, there is very little on the internet in regards to pink tongues in general!

I'll keep you posted on her progress.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

If it is a skin thing it will normally go more red and spred, see vet
As for age, I had a mating on and 7 babies from a 9 month old female
Good luck and wait and see:)

Yeah we are just coming out of winter so now is the time... I'll see how she goes and if it gets worse I'll take her to the vet and see if they think it's something more ominous.

I'm kinda hoping she is gravid though, because that was the idea in getting a male and female, just didn't think they were quite old enough yet. Having said that, there is very little on the internet in regards to pink tongues in general!

I'll keep you posted on her progress.

Thanks for all the advice. :)[/QUOTE

I have two bluey not sure which is male though. One is getting on the tubby side but still not sure if it is preg. I thought it was too early for mating in winter months plus they were bought in feb n owner said they were two wks old at that time. So i too thought mine were too young. How long is gestation?
This one use to be smaller than the other now it’s wider and tail is thicker. They eat may be every 3 days use to be teo but sometimes they werent hungry.
havent caught them in the act i just go in to check their water and for poo once or twice a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back