Carpet python feeding questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClintN

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for joining the community & ask questions straight away.

I "inherited" my daughters carpet python earlier this year & was told that feeding once a fortnight during the colder months is OK.

What happens in the warmer months? Should we look at a weekly feed?

Also, when is it OK to handle them again after eating without distressing or interrupting their digestion?

Many thanks in advance

In winter I generally don't feed at all, then in the warmer months I will do fortnightly feeds (this is for yearling- adult pythons)

I tend to give them a few days before I handle them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers kittycat17 I feel a lot more comfortable that I am not underfeeding him

Use the animals behavior as a indicator. If the animal is out and hunting consistently over a couple of days, feed it. Let this time of activity stretch a bit. An active snake is a healthy snake. Pythons are easily overfed. With practice you will be able to judge how long the previous meal will last before the next feeding.

Cheers kittycat17 I feel a lot more comfortable that I am not underfeeding him

Overfeeding is more likely/common to be honest.
Adults in captivity are generally much heavier than their wild counterparts as we feed way more frequently than the animal needs and the food we supply is often more high in fat than the natural diet. I have Diamonds which are fed monthly in summer. Average 8-10 feeds per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back