Vet ASAP or nah?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My diamond Python just shed, like 15 minutes ago, and I found this in the skin, along with a little liquid. Has almost a jelly consistency.
It looks pretty gnarly but has almost no smell.
Should I panic???? He seems fine otherwise, but I thought I cleared his guts before brumating, (he hasn't had a feed yet.)
Anyone seen this before? Should I save it for the vet? If so how?
Thanks

image.jpeg

No idea but i'm curious as to what on earth that is. Blech :eek:

Looks like a prolapse gone wrong, definitely take to a vet ASAP as it could seriously be life threatening, you should know that you should expect no more than feces and that’s definitely a lot more

Looks like a prolapse gone wrong, definitely take to a vet ASAP as it could seriously be life threatening, you should know that you should expect no more than feces and that’s definitely a lot more

Prolapse?
Not disagreeing with you, but isn't a prolapse just the cloacal tissue protruding?
Checked his cloaca after and nothing was 'hanging out'

Prolapse?
Not disagreeing with you, but isn't a prolapse just the cloacal tissue protruding?
Checked his cloaca after and nothing was 'hanging out'
Sorry I didn’t really mean “prolapse” like it’s stuff was hanging out, I meant more like something has come along with the feces, only said prolapse because it looks like a funny coloured intestine, but still seems quite serious

Mmmmmm. I'm really not sure if I should respond in the way I want to.

Iguana.......if you have any concerns the best thing you can do is to take said sample to your vets where they can have it analysed.
I don't think its anything other than excess fat that has been moved out following brumation but that's just my opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just the remains of what was in the snake's gut following the non-feeding period, and most experienced keepers know that snakes very often defecate during the shedding process. Snakes never completely clear their digestive tract at any time, so a little residue is very normal. I'm with Paul here - those with little experience should refrain from offering advice, which may vary from useless to very harmful. The snake does NOT need to be seen by a vet.

Jamie

It's just the remains of what was in the snake's gut following the non-feeding period, and most experienced keepers know that snakes very often defecate during the shedding process. Snakes never completely clear their digestive tract at any time, so a little residue is very normal. I'm with Paul here - those with little experience should refrain from offering advice, which may vary from useless to very harmful. The snake does NOT need to be seen by a vet.

Jamie
You say a little residue is very normal, however this doesn’t look like just a “little”

If you look at my 2nd post I clearly said I meant more like “something has come along with the feces”.

I only recommended he went to a vet because I personally have never seen or heard anything like that.

Recommending to see a vet is anything but “useless” or harmful.

Bl69aze........suggesting it should 'definitely see a vet' and could be 'life threatening' is going to stress the owner if they are in doubt and is potentially exposing them to some intense financial cost potentially for no good reason. Offering advice is delicate at the best of times and I will never suggest people should not see a vet....However......I give advice based on my knowledge and belief and if the owner decides to see a vet or not is their own decision.

Both myself and Jamie can come across as a little blunt on times but if you can consider how often incorrect/inappropriate advice is made you might understand.

The notion that a snake's digestive tract needs to be emptied before brumation is really based on unconfirmed assumption rather than proven fact. It's an artefact of our need to micro-manage our captives based on over-thinking their needs. Snakes in the "wild" do not have the opportunity to manage their bowel movements in such careful ways. Many of them (especially females) feed up until almost winter, and if the weather turns cold for prolonged periods of time in early winter, soon after they have fed, they will often retain large amounts of waste until the weather warms up in spring and they become more active. Also, it is difficult to know just when the last of the waste has been passed - the crap you see a week after feeding is not the results of the feeding the week before. You would have to keep the snake active for 3 months without feeding to ensure the gut was "fairly empty" by the end of that time. When a snake brumates, many processes keep on going, albiet at a reduced rate, so there is still some activity in the digestive tract through the cooler months. I provided 8 Carpet Pythons some years ago for a research project in WA, where it was revealed that after some time without food, they were able to reduce their metabolism by as much as 80% until the next meal came along, when it picked up again to a much higher rate for a brief period of time. This was done by measuring their oxygen usage at different stages of the digestive cycle.

Jamie

Agree 100% Jamie.
I have females here that haven't eaten since the end of April and they have continued to pass waste throughout winter albeit at a reduced volume & frequency than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back