Worried my baby is undersized!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olive.99

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm the proud mum of a coastal carpet python, the breeder I bought her from said she was 6 months when I bought her, making her 2 years and 7 months now. She was very small when I got her, and she doesn't seem to be as big as other coastals her age! Currently feeding her a large fully grown mouse a week. Is she small for her age? Should I be feeding her bigger food? I've attached photos of her when I first got her at "6 months" as well as how big she is now. Please help, I'm worried!

I can't see the photos for some reason, but a larger food size is better, gradually stretching the feeding to every 10 days.

My 10 mth old hatchies are feeding happily on weaner rats so definitely on to small a prey size

As long as she’s still pooing, feeding and active I wouldn’t be worried about her being small, she’s actually probably more true to size of a wild python her age :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At a guess, the reason for no pictures is admin hasn't approved the profile. olive.99 has only posted a couple messages?
If the account hasn't been approved, the person wouldn't be able to post at all.

At a guess, the reason for no pictures is admin hasn't approved the profile. olive.99 has only posted a couple messages?

There aren't any such restrictions in place to my knowledge, though I can see the pics just fine. I have brought this thread to the attention of @Stuart anyhow to see if he can sort it.

OP needs to use imgbb and upload the picture and get the bbcode embed link to post them all, the inbuilt forum upload sucks imo (no offence)

Agree with others on here the food size needs to be upsized.
Its something that happens often but is it really a problem?
In the wild animals will grow at a far slower rate due to the availability of food, (or lack of). I don't think any wild snake would turn down a feed of a mouse because it was considered too small.
Animals do seem to develop quicker when fed rats against mice, probably due to the bone density & muscle content of the prey so even feeding multiple mice would probably not be as efficient as feeding an appropriate sized rat.

(I also can't open the pics)

@Olive.99 , you need to make your album for these images public in order for the other members to see them.

Done for you now

I can see the pictures fine :) It might not be comparable but I have a 1yr 5mth old Bredli carpet that is about 140 cm long and a bit thinner than yours. She is eating hopper rats once a week. I can't say whether your girl is a healthy size or not for sure however her spine doesn't appear to be protruding unhealthily.

Yes she is a bit small compared to other captive kept animals of similar species and age.
Might be better to start putting her on rats.

If the account hasn't been approved, the person wouldn't be able to post at all.
I did mean permission to post pictures. On another forum I use to post pictures you need to have posted 10 written messages and then be approved. It was only a thought but more than happy to be corrected:)

There aren't any such restrictions in place to my knowledge, though I can see the pics just fine...
Thanks Rob
Sorry for the hijack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back