Newbie ;)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I agree. The site is being brought down by a some rather stupid individuals unfortunately."

That's why I try to start some worthwhile threads like "Price of rodents", I might already know the answers but it is interesting to get some sensible input.

I don’t necessarily agree about the way site is supposedly being “brought down”. The real danger here is sending out the wrong impression of the site. Have a think about how the last lot of posts might affect the attitude of a new non-member attracted by the thread title “Newbie”…

There was plenty of good information (and a little dodgy stuff that was corrected) presented in this thread. There was also some good humour both before and as a result of “smelling a troll”. At that point everyone who read this thread has a username to be wary of should that individual post again. It’s my belief that’s where it should have stopped.

Conjecture about ‘who and why’ is of no benefit. There is nothing positive to gained,

it accentuates the negatives, and it does not conform to site rules from my view. If someone genuinely believes they know who is responsible, then the best thing to do is to let admin know.

I’ll put my soap box away now.

These are just my perceptions and resultant opinions, voiced because I believe it’s worth thinking about. My intention is not to criticise but engender reflection, whether you agree or disagree.

Irrespective of the originator of the thread, there a few misconceptions that other have expressed and it’s worth correcting those.

Chlorine is one of the most effective broad spectrum disinfectants around. Used appropriately, it effectively destroys bacteria and fungi and their spores, protozoa and similar micro-orgs and most viruses. Iodine and bromine have similar properties (which is not surprising if you are familiar with the Periodic Table). Iodine, for example, is what they use on people’s skin before making incisions in operations. Chlorine has the down side of giving off a strong odour that is an irritant of mucous membranes, is corrosive of certain surfaces and can discolour pigmented materials. F10 was developed for veterinary use to overcome these negatives. F10 comes pretty close to chlorine in its disinfectant spectrum but is slightly more limited – chlorine is better at destroying certain unusual viruses not commonly encountered under normal circumstances.

In disinfectant abilities F10 and chlorine should be considered equally effective. F10 is a lot more convenient. From memory, chlorine requires a 5% solution sprayed or wiped and left for 30 mins (I will check on that so please don’t quote me at this stage), which can then be rinsed off, as chlorine is soluble. Oxygen and UV radiation degrade chlorine, so leaving the enclosure in sunlight for a few hours to dry after rinsing should ensure there is no chlorine remaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can a admin close this thread? I have obviously annoyed some people, and i thought i was just being safe.

im still waiting for someone to id the tadpoles on my recent thread
You need to post more details about the eggs you rescued than what you have done e.g. were they supported by foam, attached or unattached, floating or sunken, amongst vegetation or in open water, etc. Secondly, you need to bear in mind this is primarily a reptile site.

You need to post more details about the eggs you rescued than what you have done e.g. were they supported by foam, attached or unattached, floating or sunken, amongst vegetation or in open water, etc. Secondly, you need to bear in mind this is primarily a reptile site.
yea iknow its a reptile site this is exsactly the same eggs i found it was on google but it had no title
Frog_eggs_3.jpg

The only reason I'd suggested something other than bleach for times of particular concern is it is not considered the most effective substance on porous surfaces.

Can a admin close this thread? I have obviously annoyed some people, and i thought i was just being safe.

No, it is all good. But you do need to read and understand the replies to your questions, and perhaps think about how you reply. That's all. The people on this forum will gladly help new people to the hobby, but caring for the snake is primarily your responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back