Is a heat gradient required?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty

Reaction score
Hi guys, been on here a little while now lurking around absorbing as much information as I possibly can (so much information!) and now hoping to ask some questions.

Background:
I have a little Julatten Jungle and am in the process of completing the design of a custom built enclosure for him. The planned enclosure is of a reasonable size 220cm X 70cm X 180cm (LxWxH) and whilst I have virtually completed design of the structure I want to plan my heating and lighting so I can adjust the design of the structure if/as required rather than building and having to redo work or make do with a dodgy solution.
I was initially planning to create a verticle heat gradient but with the size this is going to be difficult and/or expensive both to implement and maintain.

Question:
As the title states my question is, is a heat gradient actually neccessary or is it utilised due to ease to ensure the animals get what they need temp wise from their enclosure?
What I am thinking may actually be easier with an enclosure of that size (and assuming isn't attempted due to complexity in a smaller enclosure) is using a combination of heat panels, heat cords and lighting open area and a large number of hides that meet min and max temperatures as well as the range in between rather than a steady gradient. Is that going to be healthy for the snake or would it be an issue? Sitting here thinking about it, in the wild the snake would have access to a range of temepratures due to different surfaces, cover etc at varying heights so my assumption is it shouldn't be an issue. But was hoping some more knowledgeable people could jump in and share their experience, knowledge and opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Have you checked out the DIY Zone? There are several threads dealing with similar issues.
Others with larger enclosures have overhead heat and a heated shelf part way down, usually heated with a heat cord. But it all comes down to how powerful the overhead heat is, and where you are in Oz.

Yeah sure have. I understand how I can implement heating and achieve the best gradient but was more interested in the reason for a gradient and the necessity. I'm assuming it's ease but was wondering if someone could tell me otherwise.

Snakes natural instinct is to thermo-regulate by moving to a basking area to absorb heat and then move away to stop overheating. This behaviour is also influenced by their shed cycle and when they have fed. Having an enclosure, regardless of size, that has a constant temperature throughout is not healthy and Julatten jungles particularly like to have a cooler area to retreat to. If you had an even say 28 degrees this is not hot enough to bask and too hot to be constant. I have experimented with highly insulated enclosures to save power but you end up with an even temp which is no good.
The appropriate thermal gradient can be achieved by various means and these have been covered numerous times in the DIY Zone.

Thanks guys sorry I don't think I've worded things well. Understand the need for varying temp but what I mean is do you need a hot and cool end with the gradient being vertical or horizontal. I.e. one end 32 the other 24 or top being 32 bottom being 24. Or can there be ranging temps from 32 to 24 without a specific entire end being hot or cool?
Happy to just bin this if it's seen to be duplicate but all the threads I've read are about providing a hot and cool end with a steady gradient not varying up and down.
Basically can I say heat top and bottom and have a hot top and a hot bottom and a cool middle provided temp is accurate, does the snake mind given the range is still there? Maybe it's a stupid question but everything points towards a hot and cool end horizontally or vertically and I wondered the reason.
Obvious now should have put in DIY too. Maybe it can be moved?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if the gradient is horizontal or vertical, but you will end up with a warm end and a cool end. I think people have tried to warm both ends, but the middle doesn't become cool enough, if that makes sense.

a snake needs to have access to around 30C somewhere in the cage where the snake is comfortable to go. It will chose security over temperature so the hot spot needs to be where the snake will use it. Ideally there also needs to be a cooler area for the snake to retreat away from the heat because like people snakes are individuals and have individual preferences and environmental needs at different times of their feeding and shed cycle. i am sure a jungle would survive at a constant 28C but as for it being happy, well I don't know how to tell. Heat sources have a habit of malfunctioning so a cool end is often an insurance against overheating. The number and type of heat sources depends upon your attitude to the worlds energy resources. Heating reptiles can be an extravagant occupation. I believe we have a morel obligation not to waste power overheating huge and unnecessary areas.

Cheers pinefamily makes perfect sense, plenty of ideas on ways of doing things and good to have someone validate reality.
Thanks guys

Will start a thread actually in the DIY once I finalise what I'm doing and get cracking for sure! [emoji4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back