Cage Cleaning.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why there’s different strengths that they give you for different purposes, very diluted is for every day cage cleans 5ml:1l (if that’s what you want) some In between dilution ratios

Then there’s super strong ratios they use for stuff like quarantining when bringing in animals from across the world

And there’s stuff In between to kill anything that an animal may have left behind at like a vets

You shouldn’t need to use vet strength all the time, maybe when buying an enclosure off someone, once over strong spray, then back to daily spray ratios even if not doing daily cleans

You just don't get it. Its a bit like using a shotgun as a fly swatter. You get the fly but do more damage than good. Dont care what anyone says the the fact is this product is NOT a requirement for the typical hobbyist or even a breeder who practices good hygiene/quarantine standards. End of. You can argue/disagree all you want but I'm over all the hype for a product that no one needs. You want to waste your money then go for it, stop giving advise to people when they don't actually need it.

So that's where I left the soapbox. ;)

Sorry mate I tried to stay off mine tonight but it had to be said. And its not just you Bl69aze, its an every day thing that this product is being pushed on the hobbyist without any genuine need for it IN MY OPINION as a non degree qualified vet, but as a reptile keeper/breeder for more years than I care to mention.

You just don't get it. Its a bit like using a shotgun as a fly swatter. You get the fly but do more damage than good. Dont care what anyone says the the fact is this product is NOT a requirement for the typical hobbyist or even a breeder who practices good hygiene/quarantine standards. End of. You can argue/disagree all you want but I'm over all the hype for a product that no one needs. You want to waste your money then go for it, stop giving advise to people when they don't actually need it.
savage. but well said i just use vinegar mixed with water

The way people obsess with cleanliness these days, it reminds me of Jamie's post in regards to branches. The bush hasn't been drenched in F10 periodically and yet, somehow, reptiles are still here and going strong (minus the issues of habitat destruction and feral pests of course).

I send mine to Lucas Heights Nuclear facility so they can be bombarded by gamma rays, then I roast them in the oven at 300C for about 36 hours, after which I freeze them for about 8 years, then they're so weak I have to throw them out...

Jamie

I'm only quite new, so inexperience is my thing... However I use either water or f10 depending on what I'm hoping to achieve. f10 always for a new enclosure (or second hand as most of mine are) and for full tank clean out and substrate replacements. Other than that, just water and a paper towel, it's only their mess after all. I use f10 for full cleans in case anything is brought in from outside between those full cleans because, I use natural branches, have potted plants in my enclosures and my Roughie spends time outside for some UV exposure on weekends so there is always a chance of long term growth of nasties in his home. They need some exposure or they will not have an immune system, like humans, but it doesn't hurt to give a full overhaul every so often, like a 'Spring Clean' if you will. Besides, the best time to clean out all the enclosures is when I am home with a cold or something and can't do much else, so I clean my hands, tub up each reptile, empty out and scrub all enclosures with the f10 (killing all their, the foreign and MY germs too) before re homing them all again and lying down for a nap.

In conclusion, it's all about the application for the product and it's responsible use to avoid the issues of poor husbandry, 'too much vs not enough'. Just a noob opinion though... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back