Quail and rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damo1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I just had a predicament where my local place I get rodents from didn't have the size I needed and wondered what the equivalent would be in quail. If anyone could enlighten me on the topic that would be much appreciated? (Medium rats - quail)

That will obviously depend on the weight ranges for the brand of product you are referring to but food size is fairly flexible so you should be able to go up or down a size and feed multiple food items. You might find some useful information at www.rodenfarm.com.au

Cheers wokka I bought small rats as didn't want to give my diamond to big of a food item as I've heard some horror stories of snakes chocking. I'm pretty sure he could take a large but I'm not up for the risk also mediums leave him a fairly large lump lol.

They are normally just that .....Stories! The difference between a medium and large rat maybe only 1 gram . They have to draw the line somewhere.

Only with very large food items (etc. goats), very large snakes (like, 4m +) and overconfident keepers that forcefeed (...) do you get animals overstretching themselves and tearing their skin. This can happen, but they will never, ever choke no matter how large the food is thanks to their evertable windpipe. They can tear their innards and die, but not choke. And as said above, there is pretty much zero chance this will happen unless you feed too large goats to a large snake which doesn't want to eat it, then you forcefeed it. And not sure how big your diamond is, but I have seen them eat possums in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back