I would like to purchase a reptile.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharney

Reaction score
I know there is a few of these thread on here but I wanted to make my own :)

I'm considering purchasing my first reptile to add to my little family,
but I am not sure what I should purchase or even if I should purchase one.

I live in North Qld, Australia and want something on the smaller side, so i'm thinking no Breadie or blue tongue also defiantly no snakes. I'm ok with not handing it or occasionally handing it.

I have my QLD reptile licence

Any suggestions would be great. Please ask any questions that will help you help me.

Last edited:
Hello,
asking what to purchase for your fist reptile will get you a variety of answers. What species you would like is a decision that has to be made by you, after lots and lots of research. If you have specific questions about a species the members on this forum would surely be more than happy to help. But we can't really answer what time of reptile you should get. However I personally recommend against new reptile keepers, having turtles due to all the extra care they need.

There's a lot to consider when buying a reptile, firstly, they are very expensive, not only with set up and food, but even possible vet bills. You don't seem too sure that you even really want a reptile, so i'm not going to encourage you to buy one, again it's a decision that you have to be comfortable with. These creatures live for a very long time.

If you do decide to get a reptile, you will need a wildlife license, which must be renewed yearly for a fee. Here is the website with the wildlife licence application and information:
https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/plants-animals/wildlife-permits/recreational-licence

hopefully this helps with your decisions, I am happy to answer any more questions you have,
good luck :)

a big question is, would you prefer it inside or out? would it be able to have a light/other things run by power or not? either way from this description you don't want something 40cm or bigger, so maybe look up geckos,skinks, or maybe a pygmy beardie.

a big question is, would you prefer it inside or out? would it be able to have a light/other things run by power or not? either way from this description you don't want something 40cm or bigger, so maybe look up geckos,skinks, or maybe a pygmy beardie.

Would defianly be inside, having lights and heat run by power is no problem. Yes I am defiantly looking for something on the smaller side

I think a larger gecko, such as the knobbies and thickies might work, or the pygmy beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back