For those considering housing pythons together. WARNING Graphic Images

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBWhite

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Below is a good example why it's not wise to house pythons (especially males or those of unconfirmed sex) together.

These are a couple of pics of injuries to a retic that resulted from a confrontation with a cage mate. They had been housed successfully without incident for a couple of years. They were removed and separated for about 10 minutes to clean the enclosure before being placed back together....and this happened.

screenshot_20171108-152524-jpg.321843
screenshot_20171108-152827-jpg.321842

https://www.facebook.com/TheReptileReport/photos/pcb.1378809618897577/1378809435564262/?type=3

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of the people who deny feeding live rodents is bad for both the rodent AND the snake. “It’ll be fine. I’ve done it before.”

Warning: graphic
http://i67.tinypic.com/29fasqw.jpg
Oh that's messed up.

Below is a good example why it's not wise to house pythons (especially males or those of unconfirmed sex) together.

These are a couple of pics of injuries to a retic that resulted from a confrontation with a cage mate. They had been housed successfully without incident for a couple of years. They were removed and separated for about 10 minutes to clean the enclosure before being placed back together....and this happened.

https://www.facebook.com/TheReptileReport/photos/pcb.1378809618897577/1378809435564262/?type=3
Oh damn!

Saw this posted on Instagram earlier today. I think this thread/article should be our go to whenever anyone asks if they should house their snakes together. I really hope this snake recovers.

Every time someone asks if it's OK to keep pythons together, I always say bluntly it's a stupid idea which you will regret sooner or later. But there is always a few who come on and say it's fine... been doing it for years with no problems... feed them separately and it'll be OK... Doesn't matter how many examples you quote, people believe what they want to believe, even in the face of demonstrable facts like this. I doubt this will change the mindset of the "it will never happen to me" brigade... Just saying...

Jamie

The giant pythons have enormous, strong, sharp teeth - they eat deer and pigs and anything else they can subdue. Slice injuries like this are common when pythons combat or fight. You'll see similar wounds on Carpets, GTPs and any other combative pythons of any size

Jamie

Every time someone asks if it's OK to keep pythons together, I always say bluntly it's a stupid idea which you will regret sooner or later. But there is always a few who come on and say it's fine... been doing it for years with no problems... feed them separately and it'll be OK... Doesn't matter how many examples you quote, people believe what they want to believe, even in the face of demonstrable facts like this. I doubt this will change the mindset of the "it will never happen to me" brigade... Just saying...

Jamie
Am I stupid in thinking that snakes will smell the food the other snakes just ate and attack? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it just crossed my mind when reading

Am I stupid in thinking that snakes will smell the food the other snakes just ate and attack? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it just crossed my mind when reading

Yep, of course they do. So short of putting them in a washing machine on a long cycle, they will still smell food on the other snake/s and if still in hunting mode, see the movement, smell the rodent and BANG!

Jamie

Jamie
Exactly the same with turtles. Turtles aren't social creatures, they have varying levels of tolerance. We always tell people not to get 2 turtles but there's always someone that has a friend that's had 2 turtles together for a whole year with zero issues... well considering they don't even mature until 6+ years and live for 100 that's a pretty shallow outlook. I've seen people's horror stories of arriving home to find one of their turtles shredded to pieces, feet, tails bitten off, heads crushed, shells destroyed... but they knew better...
When keeping turtles, it's 1 on its own or no less than 4 together.

Just thought I would add the photos in case the link doesn't work sometime down the track.

Pretty much the reason I am hesitant to stick this thread. Perhaps George can add the pics to his post (I can assist if needed)?

Pretty much the reason I am hesitant to stick this thread. Perhaps George can add the pics to his post (I can assist if needed)?
Can you move the photos from my post to George's post at the top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back