Mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarron

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m pretty sure my stimsons has mites. She has been kinda aggressive lately. Also I put her in her new cage this afternoon, she has been under the newspaper for the first couple mins and then she came out, I noticed that she has like 3 or 4 dots under her chin where her mouth opens. She has also been trying to rub on everything to get them off and yawning a lot. Is it mites?

Can you get a photo? If you lift the news paper up and look for them you will see them moving around slowly
I’ll try get a photo tomorrow and will have a look for them tomorrow

Best photos I can get without hurting her or myself.
She also has a couple black dots and a black patch under her belly
06596617-25CB-4D44-8639-C4BF6622183D.jpeg

12105921-17C1-4B86-8D16-81A685964C66.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you give her a bath in a deep tub some mites will come off, you can scoop them up with paper towel and examine with a magnifier.

Is there any on or under the newspaper, as Wilfred has suggested?
Not that I can see.
If you give her a bath in a deep tub some mites will come off, you can scoop them up with paper towel and examine with a magnifier.
I haven’t seen her bath in her water since I have had her. So I don’t think she is gonna like it.

It doesn't matter if she likes it or not, you need to find out for sure whether your python has mites. You can either give it a bath, or change the newspaper to paper towel. If there are mites, you will see them on the paper towel.
Was she aggressive before you put her in the new tank?

It doesn't matter if she likes it or not, you need to find out for sure whether your python has mites. You can either give it a bath, or change the newspaper to paper towel. If there are mites, you will see them on the paper towel.
Was she aggressive before you put her in the new tank?
Yes, she was abit.

Have you added a new snake to your collection recently? Mites don't live long without a host so I was under the impression that it's pretty rare for them to just appear one day without something bringing them in.

Have you added a new snake to your collection recently? Mites don't live long without a host so I was under the impression that it's pretty rare for them to just appear one day without something bringing them in.
No, I only have one snake. I brought this tank second hand it was housing 2 breaded dragons. I bleached and f10 it also it came with a hide and same fake leaves I bleached and f10 them too. My mate held her yesterday after his motorbike ride and he held her with his gloves on cause she was bitting everything. The tank came with a heat cage and lid I didn’t bleach or anything them.

If she has mites you'll have to tackle them head on. You haven't actually asked how to get rid of them but here you go anyway :)
First remove your snake from the room and put her in a clean click-clack or similar and use a flea bomb in the room then use Top of decent spray in the enclosure. Thoroughly clean out the enclosure/ soak everything in hot water (mites will drown), with a bit of permoxin if you want. Bathe her in a VERY diluted permoxin solution for 5 min then rinse her in fresh water (be careful with the permoxin its for dog and horse flee treatment so is very strong, some say not to use it for snakes, but you can use soap/ detergent instead I believe. Permoxin is also deadly to cats just btw). Keep her in qurantine while all the mites drop off. You should repeat this about 13 days later as you have to break the mites' breeding cycle and get any that may have survived.
I received my Bredli with a pretty bad case of mites and this did the job, although I didn't actually repeat the treatment, it seemed the measures I took annihilated them!

I hope your Stimson doesn't actually have mites, but if she does this should help.

If she has mites you'll have to tackle them head on. You haven't actually asked how to get rid of them but here you go anyway :)
First remove your snake from the room and put her in a clean click-clack or similar and use a flea bomb in the room then use Top of decent spray in the enclosure. Thoroughly clean out the enclosure/ soak everything in hot water (mites will drown), with a bit of permoxin if you want. Bathe her in a VERY diluted permoxin solution for 5 min then rinse her in fresh water (be careful with the permoxin its for dog and horse flee treatment so is very strong, some say not to use it for snakes, but you can use soap/ detergent instead I believe. Permoxin is also deadly to cats just btw). Keep her in qurantine while all the mites drop off. You should repeat this about 13 days later as you have to break the mites' breeding cycle and get any that may have survived.
I received my Bredli with a pretty bad case of mites and this did the job, although I didn't actually repeat the treatment, it seemed the measures I took annihilated them!

I hope your Stimson doesn't actually have mites, but if she does this should help.
Thanks for this, is there any other way that is quicker and easier?

If you treated the tank as you have described. it shouldn't have held mites. How long have you had the snake? It is possible it was already infected with mites when you got it.
And no, there isn't a quick and easy fix. You have to be diligent, or you won't get rid of them.
Have you put the paper towel into the tank?

If you treated the tank as you have described. it shouldn't have held mites. How long have you had the snake? It is possible it was already infected with mites when you got it.
And no, there isn't a quick and easy fix. You have to be diligent, or you won't get rid of them.
Have you put the paper towel into the tank?
I have had the snake for about 1-2 months. She rubs her face on things when she is trying to shed she shed 3 weeks ago.

OK, you might be jumping the gun about mites. Put the paper towel into the tank instead of the newspaper. Wait a day or so, checking all the time to see if there are any black dots. If they move, or can be crushed with your fingernail, then they are mites.
The photo is too grainy to see. Your python could have simply slid through its poop. That won't come off until its next shed.

OK, you might be jumping the gun about mites. Put the paper towel into the tank instead of the newspaper. Wait a day or so, checking all the time to see if there are any black dots. If they move, or can be crushed with your fingernail, then they are mites.
The photo is too grainy to see. Your python could have simply slid through its poop. That won't come off until its next shed.
Okay, ill swap to paper towel later tonight, i was just gonna bath her tomorrow to see but ill just do the paper towel, might be her poo but i dont think it is cause she poos white and the thing on her chin is black.

I have placed paper towel over the newspaper. I’ll check a couple times a day and see if I can see black dots. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give her a bath as I suggested earlier and you will find out in half an hour. If you've only had her for 1-2 months she could have had mites.

Paper towel has been bedding for the last 2 days. Can’t see any black moving dots, signs of mites is soaking in water and loss of appetite, she hasn’t been in water, and she ate Friday. But she still is rubbing her face on the screen and everything, she is yawning a lot more then normal, and she was basking yesterday and her breaths were like 2 seconds apart

Another really good sign ("good" might be the wrong word here?) is swelling around the eyes. It's hard to describe but you'll know it if it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back