So Silly!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
I must be one of the rare carpet owners with a wing nut snake that has a hard time eating frozen thawed food items.

Jewel is almost as bad as the royal python my son owns when it comes to feeding. She never strikes, but will show an interest. I have to wiggle the rat in her mid section and then she will coil up and constrict eventually. Then its like she forgets that she is in feeding mode and takes a spin and then comes back. I've been watching her for an hour trying to find the head of this bloody rat and it is comical.

She appears rather determined now finally and does have it, but what a wait.

She normally eats 2 large rats every 2 months, Sometimes she will eat live because the royal still refuses.

When I first got Jewel the only way she would eat was if I held her in one hand, and gently put the rat in front of her mouth with the other.

She really is a sweetheart when I think about it.

I'm not surprised though as I hear time and time again how "social" the Aussie pythons are.

Its hard to pick a favorite here but Jewel is the Gem when "personality" (used loosely) comes into play.

fullsizeoutput_477f.jpeg

Last edited:
She looks perfectly healthy :)
I would wonder if she's getting enough heat and maybe that's why she's slow on the feeding uptake
Most of my carpets are... well let's say over enthusiastic feeders lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes she is getting plenty of heat. She has been like this since day one. Today she ate 2 large rats and her interval was 1 month instead of two.

This snake never strikes frozen thawed food. She is really odd that way.

My spotted would never strike thawed frozen but I think it had more to do with what I was doing... In the beginning, obviously I had little experience so I would prepare a fuzzy for my spotted when I'd get home from work around 3pm then go and open my snake's click-clack, lift up the hide and pretty much put the fuzzy in its face. I had so many refusals that way and the 3 times she did accept the food, she took it like ever so gently and slowly, like halfheartedly, not even interested... I can't even explain how anti-snake like her behaviour was... So, I switched tactics, stopped feeding in the day time (given spotted's are nocturnal) and I started to observe my snake on dusk... If she was out and about actively roaming, I'd prepare a fuzzy... Well, talk about strike force, now the same ever so gentle snake from before near knocks the tongs clean out of my hands.. She slams her thawed frozen rodents at night. So now I only ever feed my snakes at night and I get a much better response and haven't had a refusal yet.

My spotted would never strike thawed frozen but I think it had more to do with what I was doing... In the beginning, obviously I had little experience so I would prepare a fuzzy for my spotted when I'd get home from work around 3pm then go and open my snake's click-clack, lift up the hide and pretty much put the fuzzy in its face. I had so many refusals that way and the 3 times she did accept the food, she took it like ever so gently and slowly, like halfheartedly, not even interested... I can't even explain how anti-snake like her behaviour was... So, I switched tactics, stopped feeding in the day time (given spotted's are nocturnal) and I started to observe my snake on dusk... If she was out and about actively roaming, I'd prepare a fuzzy... Well, talk about strike force, now the same ever so gentle snake from before near knocks the tongs clean out of my hands.. She slams her thawed frozen rodents at night. So now I only ever feed my snakes at night and I get a much better response and haven't had a refusal yet.

Always feed them at night, also means they are not expecting food during the day so less problem with cleaning etc which is handy with more aggressive species.

They're all different.

I've got one that wants to eat me and the rat as soon as the glass is open and another that wants to investigate her rat to the point of protecting it for consuming it at a latter time.

I've got another one that always eats tail first.... but that might be a story for a different time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back