Handling Gloves

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re concerned about food size buy one of the next size up and give it for the next feeding If it’s too big she won’t eat it and you’ll know you’re feeding the correct size.

I was hesitant with my first increase but she took it no worries.

I would agree that the biting, especially with coiling, is a feeding response. And if the previous owner didn’t handle her. Did the previous owner feed it in its cage? Was the snake removed from its enclosure for cleaning, and if it was, did the ex-owner feed it then?

I am just trying to establish if the snake likely associates being removed with feeding. If so then you need to change that association if you wish to handle your snake without it biting. What you do to change this depends on what associations it has developed and how you want to go about feeding and handling.

Just for example, you might choose to always feed it at night and only ever handle it during the day. You might also use the snake hook always and only to only to feed it and always use a pillow slip over each hand to remove it for handling. Once the pattern is established and you are feeling more confident, then then you can lose the non-handling arm’s pillow slip and let see if it will glide into/over the hand without a slip. Don’t try and force it. Just give it the opportunity, taking it slow and steady and not expecting things to change overnight, especially with a snake that sounds like it has never been handled. Whatever, it is very important to be consistent and exercise patience and persistence.

As for feeding, an adult Stimmie will take two or three adult mice in a feed. So you may find it easier to do that and let it choose how much it wants to eat. That should satisfy her for a week and a half to two weeks. She should not need to be fed much more often than that.

I would agree that the biting, especially with coiling, is a feeding response. And if the previous owner didn’t handle her. Did the previous owner feed it in its cage? Was the snake removed from its enclosure for cleaning, and if it was, did the ex-owner feed it then?

I am just trying to establish if the snake likely associates being removed with feeding. If so then you need to change that association if you wish to handle your snake without it biting. What you do to change this depends on what associations it has developed and how you want to go about feeding and handling.

Just for example, you might choose to always feed it at night and only ever handle it during the day. You might also use the snake hook always and only to only to feed it and always use a pillow slip over each hand to remove it for handling. Once the pattern is established and you are feeling more confident, then then you can lose the non-handling arm’s pillow slip and let see if it will glide into/over the hand without a slip. Don’t try and force it. Just give it the opportunity, taking it slow and steady and not expecting things to change overnight, especially with a snake that sounds like it has never been handled. Whatever, it is very important to be consistent and exercise patience and persistence.

As for feeding, an adult Stimmie will take two or three adult mice in a feed. So you may find it easier to do that and let it choose how much it wants to eat. That should satisfy her for a week and a half to two weeks. She should not need to be fed much more often than that.
The previous owner was useless, she fed it live, it bite her once and then stoped feeding and handling it, I use the hook to feed and hold her, I pick her up with the hook and put her on my hand, and I use the hook to put her on a feeding tub, if my mate isn’t here I put her in a pillow case for an hour or so to clean the cage.

Try and feed in the tank. As Bluetongue has said, you need to change its behaviour. Feed it in the tank, and try and feed it the same time of day. Do this, as well as increase the food size, and within a very short time your python should calm down.

Try and feed in the tank. As Bluetongue has said, you need to change its behaviour. Feed it in the tank, and try and feed it the same time of day. Do this, as well as increase the food size, and within a very short time your python should calm down.
Okay, I feed in the mornings at the same time. Thanks for all the suggestions, but what would be good handling gloves?

Last edited:
Gloves are only asking for trouble especially with a smaller python species (Antaresia?)

Just gonna injure ur snake and not help your “fear” of being bit, having to rely on gloves more and more.

Besides gloves won’t help when it bites you somewhere else.

Regarding feed sizes, do you know how much your snake weighs, if so you should be feeding ATLEAST 20% of that weight to her.
This picture should show you what pythons are capable of. just scale everything down :p

B58F7881-761E-4909-823D-8269522FE9AC.jpeg

It seems that there are a couple of underlying issues here. One is feeding techniques and the second is you are dealing with a traumatised snake. Live feeding of rodents to snakes is not advised by authorities for a number of reasons, including
it can be damaging to the snake. In nature, if a snake strikes at a rodent and misses, the rodent runs off. However, in the confines of a plastic tub, it cannot escape and its only defence is attack. The snake cannot get away either. So this can lead to a situation where a snake feels threatened whenever it is fed and so attacks to defend itself rather than just out of hunger. I do not know if this is the case but I would say that the snake was at least pretty stressed by its previous feeding experience and biting is its defence rather than hunger. So what can you do about it?

Change the manner in which it is fed so the existing associations are no longer applicable. Like pinefamily suggested, feed it in its cage: no feeding tub = no nasty food items that bite back. You can place the food item in front of its hide (on suitable sized sheet of stiff plastic, so substrate does not stick to it) and let the snake help itself. Alternatively, you can dangle the rodent in front of the snake, holding it with a long pair of tongs (feeder tongs) or grab tool. Certainly, no holding it with your fingers.

To let the snake de-stress, STOP handling it. Leave the poor thing alone for a couple of weeks. If you cannot do that, go and buy one that is an established handler. That’s how important it is. That includes no getting the partner to hold it while you clean the cage.

You will probably still want to use the snake hook when removing it from its cage for cleaning, despite me telling you will not need it if you wear pillow slips. And it’s clear you want protection from bites. What you can do is wear a god quality pair of dishwashing gloves underneath the pillow slips. Bunnings sell yellow gloves with the name “SHOWA” which would be excellent. (I use mine for washing up in hot, hot water.) Please do NOT wear these without the pillow slips or you will be defeating the whole purpose of helping to training the snake. The gloves are to boost your confidence but the real tool is the pillow slips. So immediately that confidence returns, ditch the showa gloves!

There are different ways to do things to achieve the same result. All I have done different is to take the time to try and explain why certain things should and should not happen. No matter what you choose to do, please bear those explanations in mind.

PS. I am sure others were thinking of fabric gloves, thick gardening type gloves or stiff leather gloves, both of which on their own are bad news and likely to cause more harm than anything. So the advice they gave about wearing 'gloves' is absolutely correct.

EDIT: Edited to incorporate correction pointed out in post #30

Last edited:
Live feeding of rodents to snakes is illegal but also can be damaging to the snake.

Sorry BT but I must point out for the sake of clarity that feeding live is NOT illegal. (Not wanting to be critical)
I agree with everything else you say and live feeding is in no way seen as a good option. It is unethical, dangerous, cruel, immoral and many other words one could use and while it is met negatively by almost everyone involved in reptiles (and rightly so) it is not illegal.

Many animals have suffered horrific injuries and even death due to the live feeding of rodents.

Sorry BT but I must point out for the sake of clarity that feeding live is NOT illegal...
Thanks PP. Much appreciated, as it is important to make every effort not to send out incorrect info… so I have amended the post accordingly. (I think I have been in WA too long. Lol.)

Sorry BT but I must point out for the sake of clarity that feeding live is NOT illegal. (Not wanting to be critical)
I agree with everything else you say and live feeding is in no way seen as a good option. It is unethical, dangerous, cruel, immoral and many other words one could use and while it is met negatively by almost everyone involved in reptiles (and rightly so) it is not illegal.

Many animals have suffered horrific injuries and even death due to the live feeding of rodents.
I’ve said it before, and you’ve half said it In this post, but you say it’s cruel and all that... that falls under animal abuse which IS illegal. Maybe not as “feeding live animals” but animal negligence and abuse.

I’ve said it before, and you’ve half said it In this post, but you say it’s cruel and all that... that falls under animal abuse which IS illegal. Maybe not as “feeding live animals” but animal negligence and abuse.
It isn't illegal because the welfare of a captive non feeding snake is paramount to a rodent in the eyes of the law. Some just won't take to feeding on a dead animal and need to be fed live. Feeding live rodents to a snake who would otherwise eat a dead rodent may be illegal though.

It isn't illegal because the welfare of a captive non feeding snake is paramount to a rodent in the eyes of the law. Some just won't take to feeding on a dead animal and need to be fed live. Feeding live rodents to a snake who would otherwise eat a dead rodent may be illegal though.
I think you need a permit and for someone to come get proof that your snake won’t eat anything but live feed.

I think you need a permit and for someone to come get proof that your snake won’t eat anything but live feed.
No, no permit or inspection. It is legal but your actions could be challenged in court on a bad day.

You can try to interpret the laws however you think but the facts are that it is NOT illegal to feed live. Would it not be considered negligent of a breeder if he did not try to feed a hatchling live after he had exhausted all other avenues?

Nor do you need any type of permit.

Please try to stick to facts when giving advice. If you don't know the answers please try to refrain from giving opinions that could be misleading. You seem to often go off on tangents on a post from people looking for guidance. Sorry if I appear to be critical but it's important that we try to give the best most correct advice possible on these posts as people with less experience may take what is said as fact when it may not be.

...you say it’s cruel and all that... that falls under animal abuse which IS illegal. Maybe not as “feeding live animals” but animal negligence and abuse.

-Turtles eat live fish
- fish eat live fish
- lizards/ skinks/ dragons eat live worms and grasshoppers
Yes it's aside from the argument but in all honesty ( to me) its the same story. These couple examples are all pets that are eating live prey. Hopefully the owners of these won't be fined for animal negligence and abuse;)
No, it's not nice but it's also nature.. right?
I picked this from the RSPCA site on feeding live prey to reptiles - probably worth a quick read

http://kb.rspca.org.au/can-i-feed-live-mice-to-a-reptile_256.html

(Yes it's an old article but it's the facts and still found on the website)

Just as a footnote - not targeting you mate, everyone has an opinion, just the word illegal can be stretched tooo far sometimes

Last edited:
As a good guide to feeding sizes for Anteresia Sp i use food size 2 1/2 times the width of the snakes head at the widest point from 2 yrs old onwards, it is absolutely amazing how large a food item Stimmy's, Spotties And Children's can get down their throats.

ndemx0bziv-gif.322035

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back