CANE TOAD?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok no worries. Like I said, I wasn't doubting that they were there, was just curious.

so I live in Western Sydney and found this guy up the road, to me looks like a cane toad which would be a big problem.

He’s bigger than he looks in the photo.

If someone could help ID that’d be great and if it is a cane toad, what do I do?
Does it hop or like to jump? Or does it prefer to walk
And does it puff up when you try to touch it?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

As has been established it's definitely not a Cane Toad. Positive ID is pretty hard to confirm without a better pic or examining it in person. Could be Fletcher's Frog but it doesn't seem to have the distinct banding on the limbs that is consistent with Fletcher's Frog. It seems to have cream coloured vertebral stripe down it's back and dark flecks dorsally that is consistent with Haswell's Froglet. Did you notice if it had a bright reddish/orange spots at the base of its arm or groins?

Does it hop or like to jump? Or does it prefer to walk
And does it puff up when you try to touch it?
A good point andradespb. These are two more helpful characteristics. If it can leap then it is definitely not a toad. Bear in mind that the converse is not true, as a number of our smaller terrestrial frogs also walk rather than jump.

… Positive ID is pretty hard to confirm without a better pic or examining it in person. …
George is quite correct in saying this. I think I was too focussed on other things in my post, as I would normally give reasons for any positive ID. So what I should have stated is that it looks like what you have is a Fletcher’s frog. I did make two assumptions – that it was considerably longer than 3cm and that any colour on the back of the thigh would be visible on the right hind leg. At the same time, the thin vertebral line is not a regular feature of Lechriodus fletcher and I don’t have sufficient field experience with the species to know if that definitely rules it out. One more characteristic than will help ID it, does the belly have a marbled pattern or is it plain?

As has been established it's definitely not a Cane Toad. Positive ID is pretty hard to confirm without a better pic or examining it in person. Could be Fletcher's Frog but it doesn't seem to have the distinct banding on the limbs that is consistent with Fletcher's Frog. It seems to have cream coloured vertebral stripe down it's back and dark flecks dorsally that is consistent with Haswell's Froglet. Did you notice if it had a bright reddish/orange spots at the base of its arm or groins?
No red , just brown with some VERY faint dark lines and a cream chin

To be completely honest I should have known it wasn’t a cane toad but my mum and dad assumed it was and I freaked out and thoughts they were right since they have seen cane toads before when they went to qld.

A good point andradespb. These are two more helpful characteristics. If it can leap then it is definitely not a toad. Bear in mind that the converse is not true, as a number of our smaller terrestrial frogs also walk rather than jump.

George is quite correct in saying this. I think I was too focussed on other things in my post, as I would normally give reasons for any positive ID. So what I should have stated is that it looks like what you have is a Fletcher’s frog. I did make two assumptions – that it was considerably longer than 3cm and that any colour on the back of the thigh would be visible on the right hind leg. At the same time, the thin vertebral line is not a regular feature of Lechriodus fletcher and I don’t have sufficient field experience with the species to know if that definitely rules it out. One more characteristic than will help ID it, does the belly have a marbled pattern or is it plain?
Didn’t pay attention to belly at all, just it’s back and I guess chin. As I said in other post I SHOULD have known it wasn’t a cane toad at all by the way it was jumping around but for whatever reason just assumed it was a cane toad coz that’s what I heard my parents say

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back