Retic Bite - Warning graphic video & image

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... he must have smelled goooooood for a full grown retic pet(?) to do that.

Edit: was it a food bite or defensive strike do you know?

Unlucky!

And here we are saying reptile bites aren’t that bad :p

I don't know if it was a feeding or defensive bite, the vid and pic were sent by a mate.

I can tell you one thing, they are incredibly fast for a big snake. We had a couple around 5 metres on display when I was working for the Australian Reptile Park's display at Centerpoint in Sydney in the '90's and I was instructed not to enter their enclosure alone unless it was absolutely necessary and even then I'd carry a plastic garbage bin lid to use as a shield if one decided to have a go.

I don't know if it was a feeding or defensive bite, the vid and pic were sent by a mate.

I can tell you one thing, they are incredibly fast for a big snake. We had a couple around 5 metres on display when I was working for the Australian Reptile Park's display at Centerpoint in Sydney in the '90's and I was instructed not to enter their enclosure alone unless it was absolutely necessary and even then I'd carry a plastic garbage bin lid to use as a shield if one decided to have a go.
Haha! The image of a full grown man with a bin lid shield is possibly going to be the best part of my day. Not that I blame you. :p

Retics have a huge head when compared to most snakes and for attitude/behavior I would compare them to a scrubby. (When you consider the size of a retic that makes it a formidable animal)
I have handled some fairly placid ones over the years but you tend to always be on guard firm in the knowledge that they are capable of inflicting some very serious damage.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the video yet but it's planned in for a viewing this evening. (Popcorn & ice cream to pick up on the way home from work I think)

remind me to never get a reticulated python,I think Darwins and Coastals are big enough.
Besides I have Lacies to keep me on my toes lol !

Last edited:
remind me to never get a reticulated python,I think Darwins and Coastals will do.
Besides I have Lacies to keep me on my toes lol !

Soz but if someone offered me a legal way to own a retic, and i had the means to keep it.. i would buy one no probs especially if its a smaller growing form :)

I was removed by Facebook because there was no graphic warning on the video (a proper graphic warning not just in text)

While I understand the reason behind the bin lid, I can't help visualising you as an extra in Gladiator, George. :D

While I understand the reason behind the bin lid, I can't help visualising you as an extra in Gladiator, George. :D

Funny you say that PF, Russell Crowe has his property in the next valley to the north of where I live and it's not uncommon to see him with his boys (and occasionally his A list celebrity friends) wondering about our little town of Bellingen or shopping in Coffs Harbour. Our town and in fact the entire shire are rather unique and attracts a huge variety of creative people.

I know it's a bit off topic but here's a 5 minute video to give you an idea of just how special it is.

Retics have a huge head when compared to most snakes and for attitude/behavior I would compare them to a scrubby. (When you consider the size of a retic that makes it a formidable animal)
I have handled some fairly placid ones over the years but you tend to always be on guard firm in the knowledge that they are capable of inflicting some very serious damage.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the video yet but it's planned in for a viewing this evening. (Popcorn & ice cream to pick up on the way home from work I think)

You're right on the money. Retic on the left and scrubby on the right, both snakes about the same size (12'). Retics have longer, more slender heads and smaller eyes but are far more accurate and faster when they decide to bite.
compare.jpg

@Waterrat. A couple of great images there Michael. Not to take anything away from the awesome dentition of both, I would have thought the skull on the right was the Retic and the skull on the left was a Scrubby.

Found this image of a retic skull which clearly shows the four rows of upper teeth – two maxillary (and pre-maxillary) and two palatine, which would have been responsible rot the four rows of lacerations shown in the injury image. I did not see the video but the injuries are clearly consistent with someone having pulled what appears to be their arm out of the mouth of a retic without attempt to prise the snake’s mouth open.

upload_2017-12-16_20-52-52.png

It is like looking into the mouth of a Grey Nurse Shark.

ndemx0bziv-gif.322035

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

@Waterrat. A couple of great images there Michael. Not to take anything away from the awesome dentition of both, I would have thought the skull on the right was the Retic and the skull on the left was a Scrubby.

Found this image of a retic skull which clearly shows the four rows of upper teeth – two maxillary (and pre-maxillary) and two palatine, which would have been responsible rot the four rows of lacerations shown in the injury image. I did not see the video but the injuries are clearly consistent with someone having pulled what appears to be their arm out of the mouth of a retic without attempt to prise the snake’s mouth open.

View attachment 322255
This would explain the 4 gashes on the arm! Why do they have 2 sets of teeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back