Heat In summer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure either but on hot days the temp will turn off at 35, but after it turns off it keeps going up to about 38-39~ then slowly crawls back down to about 30

I wouldn't worry too much.
You could always lower the thermostat a touch to 33-34 to give you the upper limit that you are happy with.
Just might mean a slightly longer time under the lamp for your animals to get enough heat on cooler days.

I’m not sure either but on hot days the temp will turn off at 35, but after it turns off it keeps going up to about 38-39~ then slowly crawls back down to about 30

So now I just turn heating off manually untill I find a good setup for hot summer days
Are you using ceramic heat emitters or light bulbs?
Light bulbs will cool down a lot quicker than ceramics.

I find using a dimming thermostat with bulbs and ceramics in my setups the basking spots pretty much stays at the exact temp i want them to (once they have reached desired temp) hardly any fluctuations. I think the key is using a dimming thermostat rather than on/off variety and correct wattage bulbs is important

I think the key is using a dimming thermostat rather than on/off variety and correct wattage bulbs is important

On/Off thermostats are fine so long as you don't have a heat source that is overkill for the enclosure. (Another common fault).
If they are tripping the heat source on/off on a regular basis you won't get stable temps and you will be spending a fortune on globes.

On/Off thermostats are fine so long as you don't have a heat source that is overkill for the enclosure. (Another common fault).
If they are tripping the heat source on/off on a regular basis you won't get stable temps and you will be spending a fortune on globes.

Yep exactly .. i decided to upgrade to dimming thermos ... paid themselves off pretty quickly no blown globes or ceramics in ages ...

If the ambient temperature of your reptile room gets to 30 degrees plus, theres no need for any cage heat.
When you know the room will reach these temps just shut it all off, even the night before. In summer if the room gets to these temps 30+ it'll hold that heat for long enough hours for the snake to acheive whatever body temp it needs, just like it would on a basking site. All snakes need a temperature of around 24-28 degrees to kick in the immunity system and produce enzymes etc for digestion and bodily function, so in summer when night time enclosure lows are around the 24mark and day time highs approach 30+ they really don't need any mechanical extra heat at all.
I do very few call outs on to snakes on the 35+ degree days, its too hot for them, and they can acheive their temps very easily, by staying hidden away, however the lace monitors love these high temp days and are mobile.

40 degrees here today, no thermos just timers, all heat off at 9am and aircon on a timer to come on at 9am. Works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back