Handling Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like my Jack Russell's with a rat... They rag-doll it that hard that its body resembles a sock puppet with no skeletal integrity whatsoever.

I put this up in a different thread but it's relevant here. This normally very placid albino Darwin has incredible aggression dealing with a dead rat and this is mild compared to some of his antics.

What the actual? LOL Imagine how it'd be with a live prey item actually putting up a struggle... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks quite full from that one[emoji4]think it needs a trip to fat fighters

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Man that proper looks broke ,[emoji4] it’s pretty funny when they strike it that hard,
amazing markings on striker, what sort of python is it, sorry if I seem a bit thick, don’t really see many Australian snakes in uk well only common ones[emoji4]

South-west carpet python (Morelia imbricata).

If you want overkill, you should see our yellow spotted monitor in action; you have to be quick to shut the glass when feeding because he absolutely goes nuts flinging the dead mouse around. The other day I fed him a couple of day old chicks. Looked like a crime scene when he was done, blood splattered up the enclosure wall.

Sounds like something my King's Skinks did the other day. Dropped in a mouse and they both instantly seized it at opposite ends. Next thing I know they've torn it in half with a confetti of blood and innards. And I had just cleaned their enclosure too. A little early for Christmas crackers, though.

Last edited:
I would often feed my Burmese a mixture of Geese/Piglets when I was in the UK. It would sometimes take 2-3 hours to get them down.
Birds are certainly more difficult for snakes to swallow due to the size of the rib cage & sudden rather than gradual change in size after the head & neck.

From memory I think they said it took around 6 hours for that Black Headed to get the monitor down. The environmental officer from the mine where it happened set up a barrier on the road so trucks and cars couldn't run it over and stayed until it finished its feed and moved off the road.

Was planning to try handling tomorrow morning before work (would be about 60 hours since feed) but did notice today he still has a very sizeable lump. I'm assuming its best not to handle him until this has digested?

Last 2 days as I've been leaving for work ive seen him snuggled up at the hot end, its always between 30-33 but i dont run the heat at night (its been 28-30 of a night recently -.-), my research tells me diamonds try maintain a body temp of 28 and to try have a gradient of 33 to as low as possible.

Guessing since this is a much bigger feed then what he has taken previously ill just have to wait? Its quite comical seeing this slim snake with a massive gut.

Yes mate better to leave him. Thing is with the bigger feed it will take longer to digest but should sustain him longer, thus giving you more opportunity to handle by increasing the time between feeds.

Just a comparison, my coastals are 11mths old as well, I feed them every 1-3 weeks at the moment (when i feel like it haha) and there sitting between 300-600 gms in weight. The ones that still take mice only are the ones sitting around the 300gm mark
The ones getting near the 600gm mark are able to take small rats now :) it is good to give them large meals that give them a good stretch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just saw this and made me smile,it’s not my photo it’s of an African rock python after eating a hyena, man he will be well full for a few weeks
7a61d5d4ea5b965e4f8313ae40501f0b.jpg

Would not like to clean up after that digests,lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thats what 4-5 ft diamonds look like when they eat adult ring tailed possums. Same just a smaller scale. They digest it and crap it out in a week.

If you want overkill, you should see our yellow spotted monitor in action; you have to be quick to shut the glass when feeding because he absolutely goes nuts flinging the dead mouse around. The other day I fed him a couple of day old chicks. Looked like a crime scene when he was done, blood splattered up the enclosure wall.

That’s awesome. I had a bhp who refused to strike but when the food item was left in he would pick it up in his mouth and smash it off every wall in his enclosure. Had to see it to believe it, it was amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back