how to care for a house gecko?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes it sooooooooooo confusing when you're trying to look into Gecko's and want to work off a list of what you are legally allowed to have :(

there are a few ways of making an enclosure colder, either way if i was to get a gecko i'd get a Golden-tailed Gecko, they're goals..Lol. best getting one would be getting it shipped, then again as said above it's expensive..

Where should i go to find more in detailed research about a specific species of gecko? I've tried the QLD museum website but it's only mentions of them when the main article is about another species. I'm probably going to have to go find some b.....b......books arnt i? >.<

Measured the temps in my room and it'll sit at 30 and peak at 32 at around 1:30 - 2pm and drop to about 28 at around 3am. I'm going to get the terrarium and set it up well before i get to 100% in my gecko choice so i can make sure the temperatures inside the terrarium are stable and wont exceed the safe levels.

The Northern Spiny Tailed Gecko (Strophurus ciliaris) would be ideal for that temperature, and in winter i can keep it stable with the heating pad and ceramic heating bulb.

Imported Tuata what other ways of making the enclosure colder? Whenever i google it it's always keep out of direct sunlight (duh!) or freeze a water bottle wrap it in non thready towell to absorb the moisure / protect the animal if they get close to it and chuck it in the enclosure, or get aircon for the room... (on the list.. that'll take time tho...) Really keen to learn more about different methods of cooling the tank if there's more than what the bulk of google seems to suggest?

I had the idea of attaching say a PC case fan to one of the ventilation holes (top side as heat rises, opposite side of the tank from the hot side) and just ensure it's got a double fine grill on both sides to ensure nothing gets through. It should suck the hot air out and help cool it right? I looked up cooling plates with the idea of popping one on the cool side, after a few insulation layers so it doesn't freeze or make it too cold but it looks like those things are huge and industrial.... like cold rock ice cream cold slab going for 3m long kinda thing.

Outside of that i'll attach my industrial fan to a thermostat and have that baby go full power aimed to push air through the room and out the window rather than aimed at the tank (after i test it to document the temp drop ofc!) and i'll more than likely get some HD cameras and hook them up to my laptop so i can remote in from work and keep tabs on everything - maybe setup motion detection video capture with a good view on the tank so i can start video documenting the lil guy's behaviour and habits (and so i can drop everything and go home if there is any issue whatsoever)

There are lots of online caresheets if you look around? Try youtube of something... but yeah books are the best place to look :p You can keep one part of the enclosure cool by putting a slate tile there.

Where should i go to find more in detailed research about a specific species of gecko? I've tried the QLD museum website but it's only mentions of them when the main article is about another species. I'm probably going to have to go find some b.....b......books arnt i? >.<

Measured the temps in my room and it'll sit at 30 and peak at 32 at around 1:30 - 2pm and drop to about 28 at around 3am. I'm going to get the terrarium and set it up well before i get to 100% in my gecko choice so i can make sure the temperatures inside the terrarium are stable and wont exceed the safe levels.

The Northern Spiny Tailed Gecko (Strophurus ciliaris) would be ideal for that temperature, and in winter i can keep it stable with the heating pad and ceramic heating bulb.

Imported Tuata what other ways of making the enclosure colder? Whenever i google it it's always keep out of direct sunlight (duh!) or freeze a water bottle wrap it in non thready towell to absorb the moisure / protect the animal if they get close to it and chuck it in the enclosure, or get aircon for the room... (on the list.. that'll take time tho...) Really keen to learn more about different methods of cooling the tank if there's more than what the bulk of google seems to suggest?

I had the idea of attaching say a PC case fan to one of the ventilation holes (top side as heat rises, opposite side of the tank from the hot side) and just ensure it's got a double fine grill on both sides to ensure nothing gets through. It should suck the hot air out and help cool it right? I looked up cooling plates with the idea of popping one on the cool side, after a few insulation layers so it doesn't freeze or make it too cold but it looks like those things are huge and industrial.... like cold rock ice cream cold slab going for 3m long kinda thing.

Outside of that i'll attach my industrial fan to a thermostat and have that baby go full power aimed to push air through the room and out the window rather than aimed at the tank (after i test it to document the temp drop ofc!) and i'll more than likely get some HD cameras and hook them up to my laptop so i can remote in from work and keep tabs on everything - maybe setup motion detection video capture with a good view on the tank so i can start video documenting the lil guy's behaviour and habits (and so i can drop everything and go home if there is any issue whatsoever)
If the tank is too hot it is because your room is too hot. A computer fan will only move the hot air around as it has to pull air in to the enclosure from the room which will be hot already.

As for caresheets just google 'Northern Spiny-Tailed Gecko caresheet' or add any animal in front of caresheet and some should pop-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back