A Tiny Giant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Aus, what a waste of a wombat that'd be!
Thankfully there are members of hubs family who can dispatch rabbits for me when the time comes

Rabbits... You must mean the giant lop-eared rabbits of course?? :D
d457e139e99d995a646f3f32277c93d9--giant-bunny-big-bunny.jpg

ba13e219dc24b27e80bb74fd75159e18--giant-bunny-big-bunny.jpg

Ordinary rabbits won't cut it for that serpent!
[doublepost=1516354697,1516354616][/doublepost]
Yeah it’s a coastal no scrubbys in Nerang lol

FYI @Nerdhero the record for a scrubby is about 5.5m
Have seen a scrubby at Kennilworth on the Sunny coast. Obviously an escaped pet.

I think ultimately if you have it when it reaches full adult size, you'll probably find chickens are the go. A 15 -18 ft scrubby will have 3 per feed.
Also if it's male, some things to watch for as it matures are increased likelyhood of biting around spring as it comes out of winter hungry, and on sexual maturity as well. With large powerful reptiles that have the ability to do serious damage, please don't forget it's a snake, and will act like one too.
I know your pretty confident and experienced, but just remember the older and bigger it gets the more attention and respect you have to pay to it.
Captive snakes that aren't handled much, can sometimes be more bitey then wild ones because they get used to human prescence for feeding, where wild ones don't associate human with food, but more a threat.

I think ultimately if you have it when it reaches full adult size, you'll probably find chickens are the go. A 15 -18 ft scrubby will have 3 per feed.
Also if it's male, some things to watch for as it matures are increased likelyhood of biting around spring as it comes out of winter hungry, and on sexual maturity as well. With large powerful reptiles that have the ability to do serious damage, please don't forget it's a snake, and will act like one too.
I know your pretty confident and experienced, but just remember the older and bigger it gets the more attention and respect you have to pay to it.
Captive snakes that aren't handled much, can sometimes be more bitey then wild ones because they get used to human prescence for feeding, where wild ones don't associate human with food, but more a threat.
More like 3 Brahma roosters!

Definitely chooks were the go for me feeding Burms and retics in the UK in my previous life. Have used geese, piglets when I could get them. Funnily enough they wouldn't touch rabbit.

I know you've got the right attitude Casey, all good:). Sometimes I post stuff thats not necessarily for the OP but more in line with others of little or no experience because of the opportunity that presents, if that makes sense.
Some other tips with husbandry to make life easier and lesson personal risk when dealing with power or venom, is simple things like dividing the enclosure with a latchable door, so it can be cleaned one half at a time without even having it in the same room (use heat to draw into one side or the other), using garbage lids or similar as a shield, or if need ever be, two people or wearing a knife just in case the unthinkable happens and you have to seriously protect yourself.
But that's all Mr mom, from me ;) Take care and enjoy!

Beautiful little guy you have there.

I remember there being an APS member who had a huge scrubby who wasn't very pleasant to say the least. From memory of the pics he posted, he wore a motorbike helmet and full leather gear when he went in the enclosure to clean it. It would perch up high and strike at him, hence the helmet.
Does anyone else remember the pics?

I remember there being an APS member who had a huge scrubby who wasn't very pleasant to say the least. From memory of the pics he posted, he wore a motorbike helmet and full leather gear when he went in the enclosure to clean it. It would perch up high and strike at him, hence the helmet.
Hahahaha this is awesome... I'd be wearing a full Ned Kelly suit. :D

I couldn't find said pics though I'm sure there here somewhere.

Here's a teaser...

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/best-bites.217455/#post-2472207

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/from-this-to-this-scrubbies-new-enclosure.188552/

I believe you're thinking of Joemal ?

Yes, thats the one!

Yep, thats the ones, he posted so many of his girls love bites, thanks for finding these!

He has the video's on his fb page now

Hahaha, thats the ones I remember, thanks for finding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back