A Tiny Giant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you've got the right attitude Casey, all good:). Sometimes I post stuff thats not necessarily for the OP but more in line with others of little or no experience because of the opportunity that presents, if that makes sense.
Some other tips with husbandry to make life easier and lesson personal risk when dealing with power or venom, is simple things like dividing the enclosure with a latchable door, so it can be cleaned one half at a time without even having it in the same room (use heat to draw into one side or the other), using garbage lids or similar as a shield, or if need ever be, two people or wearing a knife just in case the unthinkable happens and you have to seriously protect yourself.
But that's all Mr mom, from me ;) Take care and enjoy!
I read and appreciate all the info here,I just bought a pair of lacies so I understand the need for caution.not exactly the same as a scrubby but still something that needs respect.

FYI @Nerdhero the record for a scrubby is about 5.5m ;)

Hi Professor,

I have a mate who had a pair back in the mid 90's where the male was a little under 5m and the female a bit over 6m. He used to get me over to help him clean the cages and I can tell you that it was an adrenalin pumping experience every time...lol. Nice looking snakes but they have a **** attitude and should be considered dangerous once they get over that 4 metre mark. If I remember correctly there was a bloke who was found dead in his snake room some years back and it was strongly suspected that he fell foul to his rather large Scrubby that was out of it's cage and cruising around the snake room when they discovered his body. I believe there was evidence that it actually tried to eat him.

As far as size goes and if my memory serves me correct, there is a reliable record of one that was collected back in the 50's or 60's that measured over 23 feet (I don't know what the conversion to metric is be but it would put it at over 7m). There's also a photo of one around the same size being held by 5 or 6 people in Eric Worrell's "Reptiles of Australia". I had one here somewhere but can't find my copy at the moment but if I can I'll try and post a pic. If anyone can get their hands on a copy of Eric's book it's well worth a gander, it's a pretty impressive looking beast. I'm pretty sure some local libraries may still have copies.

Cheers,

George.

Oh man look at that cute little face!

It's a while away for now but have do you have any plans for adding heat for an outdoor aviary. If you still live where I remember you being, it's a bit chillier there in winter than what they're used to. I've wanted one for sooo long but couldn't keep it outside during winter without supplemental heat.

Nice looking snakes but they have a **** attitude and should be considered dangerous once they get over that 4 metre mark

100%. Once my female Burm made about 5m it was a nervous experience getting her out for cleaning and she was a pussy cat to handle.
I was young and stupid then and used to deal with her when everyone else was out. No way now would I handle anything that size without someone else in the house/immediate vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back