Tree monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
so guys what’s the deal with the emerald tree monitors in aus. Are they able to be purchased? Have they only just gone into captivity over here? Or are we unable to trade them

They have been in captivity for a few years now but only in the hands of one keeper! He released the first ones to a couple of people about 18 months ago! Those poeple have recently put pics up on Facebook!

i only know of the people he gave them to, can't say i wouldn't love to buy a few in a decade or so when more avalaible. i haven't seen the facebook posts either, just some pictures.

They aren't on the N.S.W species list, so will be a while until I can get them! As soon as they are I'll be all over a pair!

not on the VIC species list eithe,r don't think they will be for many years now really thinking about it, no arguses, perenties, rock monitors, etc are on so i can't imagine they'd put such a species on it, i've been wanting to move to capeyork in the next few years anyways though.(but then i can't get native mammals....ahhh why are the species allowed so crap/unbalanced!)

Anyone ever tried getting a species added to your states licence? Haha I can imagine it’s near impossible

i know stompsy? asked about it a few years back, from that thread it seems impossible for any one person(or even a group of people depending on size) to get a species added, especially something like a Varanus prasinus.

Well the victorian mammal society always seem to be trying to add new mammals to the victorian list, usually successfully, so it can be done.

Last edited:
that's a very large-ish highly supported organization, nothing for reptiles like that here, or at least none that actively try to add as many species as possible and are successful.

There is a whole article on V. prasinus (natural history and captive management) in the letest issue of iHerp Australia mag. written by the owners.

victorian mammal society

Maybe you mean the Australian Mammal Society?

We have the VHS which would have good numbers, and its not that the hobby doesn't try to make changes just that the suggestions are not looked upon favorably.

Maybe you mean the Australian Mammal Society?

We have the VHS which would have good numbers, and its not that the hobby doesn't try to make changes just that the suggestions are not looked upon favorably.
How do you mean, that suggestions that are put forth happen to be less than sensible or the fact that suggestions are being put forth itself is looked at unfavourably?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back