Overweight Jungle Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquigglesPencil

Reaction score
Hi, I have a female jungle python who is about 5 years old & is 2.5 to 3m long. I am a bit concerned as someone suggested that my snake is overweight. She is a big girl & I can’t wrap my hand around the middle of her. I feed her a large rat every 2-3 weeks. She isn’t very active in her tank but when she gets handled, she is quite active. Can snakes get overweight? If so, are there tell tale signs to know that my snake is overweight?

Yeah they can, but a large rat every 2-3 weeks wouldn't do it. If she has good strong muscle tone I wouldn't worry. Pythons don't all have the same body type, some are naturally more solid or chunky, while others are more lean. I had a large coastal who for her length was really solid, she was extremely strong and thick bodied, to the point that a vet thought she was gravid, but there was definantly no eggs, just a thick bodied individual.
Tell tale signs are a soft layer of fat under the skin, to the point where muscle tone is lost and she would look more rounded out along the spine, and they feel "soft" when handled, rather then hard bodied muscle. If your concerned, just stop feeding her at the end of March and don't feed her again till October. Climbing trees and a run on the ground out of the cage is good exercise too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back