Came Across This

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauls_Pythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure how true this is but a post on FB yesterday it has been suggested that the DPI are looking at changing the rules of 'what constitutes a pet shop'.
It is suggested that this could potentially have serious implication's to the hobby with anyone who wants to breed animals for the pet trade forced into having an ABN and being listed as a pet shop which would expose them to more rigorous, more frequent inspections. (And of course all the paperwork that goes with running a business). Some would be forced into registrations for GST and of course tax if they produce/sell enough animals to record a profit.
I don't see this as being a completely bad thing but I do think it will restrict the number of animals that are available LEGALLY. I guess it will do nothing to curb the black market in reptiles and could probably have a negative impact on black market trading and poaching.

if any of our connected members have heard anything on this.

27337325_10155320976602951_6506080654906883684_n.jpg

Interested to hear 26993373_10155320976597951_6007025965257476469_n.jpg 26907866_10155320976607951_603300189219487838_n.jpg

All I can say is well thank goodness we already have an ABN then and are a registered animal welfare charity with tax deductible gift recipient status.

I guess it will do nothing to curb the black market in reptile sand could probably have a negative impact on black market trading and poaching.
I agree with this.

I have no idea about the accuracy of all that, but my first though regarding being forced to have an ABN for reptile sales is that it opens the door to claiming your expenses (power, food, enclosure materials, vet bills, medication) against any income from sales of bred animals.
Yeah but it's not that easy, you get audited very rigorously.

As long as your ducks are in a row, that’s merely an inconvenience though right? I’ve had an abn for the last 14 years and never been audited once, tbh.
I guess it depends what you're doing and how large you're operating? We're audited every 12 months.

I have no idea about the accuracy of all that, but my first thought regarding being forced to have an ABN for reptile sales is that it opens the door to claiming your expenses (power, food, enclosure materials, vet bills, medication) against any income from sales of bred animals.

Agree. And if costed correctly it would all be tax negative anyway. You could even claim mileage. I think for most it would be beneficial tbh.

Yeah but it's not that easy, you get audited very rigorously.

Might that be because you are a registered charity that you get audited Kev?

As long as your ducks are in a row, that’s merely an inconvenience though right? I’ve had an abn for the last 14 years and never been audited once, tbh.

This is more in line with my understanding. There are plenty of physical pet shops out there that if they were audited more frequently they would be closed down.

I guess it depends what you're doing and how large you're operating? We're audited every 12 months.
That would be because AFT is a charitable organisation, not because of size or what you are doing I would think.

You beat me to it Paul.

That would be because AFT is a charitable organisation, not because of size or what you are doing I would think.
We used to sell a lot of turtle related aquarium products, nowadays just hatchlings and surrendered unwanted turtles requiring new homes etc.

Okay let's get this in order,I have an ABN,I started my transport business in 1999, a year before GST.I breed reptiles for the fun of it not to make a profit (so far it's only Central and Pygmy beardies) in the future I plan to breed some pythons and frillies but still wont make a profit.So-how will I differentiate between the food I buy for my breeders versus my non-breeders,how much of my $800 power bill is for my breeding reptiles? how many hours of work time can I claim? do I have to charge GST on my sales?Say I sell a python for $100 do I add $10 GST to my friends when they buy from me?Can I claim my herpetological society membership as a tax deduction?How do I prove the A/C I bought is for the reptiles and not me?
The questions never end,maybe this is the Boofocrats way of forcing little guys to stop breeding altogether which can only be bad for reptile keepers and reptiles in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back