Help- Snakes all grown up : )

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Yellowtail How big/heavy do your adult super mice get.
He's got a photo posted of one at 76g...
[doublepost=1516869817,1516869730][/doublepost]Hence why I've invested in them for my ants rather than have to buy baby rats.
My 26 day old weaner Quackenbush super mice are as big as my adult fancy mice. So yeah... these guys will do just nicely for ants.

Last edited:
@SpottedPythons ^^^ That's what I'm talking about.... My baby Quackenbush are the size of adult common mice now, and they're only 26 days old... My spotted and stimmie will do just fine on adult super mice rather than weaner rats. IMO.

Last edited:
feed em mice or rats, makes no difference. Not many people would have access to your super mice, so to the average Joe here like me, a normal 40-50 gram mouse is an adult mouse. Which for an adult Mac is a small feed. But it still won't make any difference ... feed em 3 if you want. I'd love to see a photo of a 90 gram mouse if you can throw one up. Genuine interest .
Weaner rats are probably only 70-80 grams, at 100 grams a rat is fully looking after itself.
But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, if I can have three clutches in 3 years, with every clutch bigger then the last and not one slug feeding them on 90-100 gr rats, then the difference would be so minimal on food item calcium levels, its not worth bothering about.
Maculosa are bulletproof snakes, and would do well on either.

Last edited:
Yeah cheers Cement, was just curious as to whether there was any benefit when comparing the 2 (for Anteresia) given that they stay particularly small and would never eat full grown adult rats. I knew reg mice would be too small for them as adults, which is why I've bred my last litter of reg mice and have switched to super mice now that my Macs are both yearlings. It was something I was wanting to know about as I do not wish to have to start breeding rats, given the space requirement or having to regularly buy rats as my local suppliers are pretty expensive and the nearest suppliers with a decent price for rats are a couple of hours away and don't freight to this area, (I've sussed them all out already). Those last 2 points are the primary reason I've stuck with Anteresia, that, and the fact that I find them genuinely stunning compared to larger pythons which don't do a whole lot for me, nothing at all against anyone else's pythons, (beauty is in the eye of the beholder.) I do Particularly like the green tree pythons and perhaps one day will look into those.

feed em mice or rats, makes no difference. Not many people would have access to your super mice, so to the average Joe here like me, a normal 40-50 gram mouse is an adult mouse. Which for an adult Mac is a small feed. But it still won't make any difference ... feed em 3 if you want. I'd love to see a photo of a 90 gram mouse if you can throw one up. Genuine interest .
Weaner rats are probably only 70-80 grams, at 100 grams a rat is fully looking after itself.
But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, if I can have three clutches in 3 years, with every clutch bigger then the last and not one slug feeding them on 90-100 gr rats, then the difference would be so minimal on food item calcium levels, its not worth bothering about.
Maculosa are bulletproof snakes, and would do well on either.

Spot on.

Sometimes it is also a matter of supply as well, i have found the consistent supply of Rats is much better than the same for Mice up here, the other thing to consider is the changeover from mice to rats, in my humble opinion the earlier the better before the taste for mice becomes ingrained. As many have said if the supply of mice is better than that for rats it can sometimes be just as easy for the snake owner to feed 2 large mice as 1 medium (90-100 gm) rat. Me!! i feed my 6 yr old spotties 1 90-100 gm rat every 10 days and they are thriving.

ndemx0bziv-gif.322035

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

As many have said if the supply of mice is better than that for rats it can sometimes be just as easy for the snake owner to feed 2 large mice as 1 medium (90-100 gm) rat.
Cheers Ron, 2x 70+g mice will work just nicely for me. :)

Hi Gem... this is just me asking, because this is something I've seen a lot of debate over... if your Anteresia are on weaner rats and that's a suitable sized meal for them, then by comparison, wouldn't large adult mice be better?? Many people have the opinion that adult mice have a fully developed skeleton, greater bone density/integrity, therefore more calcium is available rather than in the soft, still developing bones of a baby rat...

I don't know, I'm just asking... my ants are still young and on weaner mice and at this stage I think they'll stay on mice as adults.

Something I see talked about a lot.

Hey sorry I'm slow to reply! I've been away : )

I purely went on the advice of the breeder I purchased them from, they are an experienced breeder and recommended rats and after doing some research and reading through different threads on this forum I decided that it didn't really matter so I went with their advice : )

Definitely been interesting reading everyone's thoughts though

Gem

Hey sorry I'm slow to reply! I've been away : )

I purely went on the advice of the breeder I purchased them from, they are an experienced breeder and recommended rats and after doing some research and reading through different threads on this forum I decided that it didn't really matter so I went with their advice : )

Definitely been interesting reading everyone's thoughts though

Gem
Yeah no worries, I just wanted to know (for my own ants) if I could get away with staying on mice given that I've purchased some Quackenbush super mice that get more than double the size of regular mice. :)

Reactions: Gem
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back