Woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They shouldn't die off, they just stop breeding for about a month... I'm on top of the Great Dividing Range and it's been down to -16 in the dead of winter and mine have been outside now for 6 years. They don't die off. Even when the woody bin is covered in frost they're still alive. They just eat noticeably less because they slow right down... Mine have still been breeding in June, stop in July and usually start again in late August. The bin gets the sun all day so even in winter it stays warm enough.
mine didn't just die,I fed them to the chooks

You don't need to start out with a bulk lot. I started this colony with just 30 woodies from Brian.
View attachment 323152

Once a year I buy a small container of Pisces woodies from any random pet store and put them in my woody bin. This is just to add some more genetics to the colony. Also, rather than keep them in tubs, they fare a lot better straight outside in a large compost bin.

What’s in the woody bin to get it to that level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, sorry only just knocked off work... Winters get well below zero here and no I don't use Fluon or anything else near my feeders... Long story short... The odd few come out of the bin here and there but why would they want to leave?? The compost bin has everything they need, a source of food and shelter. The bin stays open like this all the time with a half paver brick under one side of the lid to allow for air flow and that's it. Birds and rain can't get in, I sometimes have a rat visitor but I always have rat traps ready to catch them. The local frogs visit the bin at night. Really, there's no need to try and prevent them from escaping. I've had this outdoor colony setup like this now open 24/7 for 6 years and it's still going nuts.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_SkXCiVyOyKMzRZc2ZLeVdER0k/view?usp=sharing

Hi there, sorry only just knocked off work... Winters get well below zero here and no I don't use Fluon or anything else near my feeders... Long story short... The odd few come out of the bin here and there but why would they want to leave?? The compost bin has everything they need, a source of food and shelter. The bin stays open like this all the time with a half paver brick under one side of the lid to allow for air flow and that's it. Birds and rain can't get in, I sometimes have a rat visitor but I always have rat traps ready to catch them. The local frogs visit the bin at night. Really, there's no need to try and prevent them from escaping. I've had this outdoor colony setup like this now open 24/7 for 6 years and it's still going nuts.
Awesome mate and thanks for the info! I like that much better than worms

Awesome mate and thanks for the info! I like that much better than worms
Soldier flies also lay their eggs in the compost scraps so there's always a few soldier fly larvae getting around too which turtles love to eat, I have a heap of pill bugs in there too that I gathered up out at my mum's place.

Thanks mate that’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back